1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

app to power down phone without using hard buttons

Last Updated:

1. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there an app out there that can power down the phone without having to hold the power button? I am not talking about reboots, i mean a full power down, from using only the touchscreen?

I searched to no avail.

Advertisement
  2. scoob55

scoob55 Well-Known Member

do your hard buttons not work or something?

3. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

4. Mr. Boom

They work fine. I am looking to save wear and tear on the phone as i might have it for the full two years.

I should note that i am looking for an app that will do this WITHOUT ROOT. I found the ones for root, just don't want to root at this time.

5. akazabam

Sorry, that simply isn't possible, unfortunately.

6. Mr. Boom

WHy not? When you do longpress on the power button, it brings up a popup asking what you want to do. Why can't there be a shortcut to that without the longpress on a physical button? Without root?

What prevents it?

7. akazabam

It's built into the system. The ability to do that is not available to 3rd party applications. You can do it with root because you can execute any command you want with su, and give it a front end. It's like this for security reasons. If any application could do this, it would only take one malicious person to write a seemingly innocent app that shuts your phone down at each boot. It's the same reason why you need root to take screenshots.

8. Mr. Boom

I see. Could such an app then be authorized by using a simple PIN or password before it executes? To help prevent security issues?

9. akazabam

There is nothing built into android to do this, that I know of. In theory, it's a good idea.

10. Mr. Boom

Well, that leaves me with a decision to cross my fingers and wait, or root. Damn! I don't want to root!

Is there an easy way to root? I mean a nearly idiot proof method for an Incredible? Guess i should go read!

11. akazabam

It's not all that bad. Read through the posts here:

http://androidforums.com/incredible...root-guide-updated-4-15-est-oct-1-2010-a.html

I can tell you from rooting my Evo using Unrevoked (similar enough to the incredible) that it is a pretty painless process. I feel compelled to ask, though, is this the only reason you want to root, now? Is potentially saving your power button (which shouldn't break anyway) worth voiding your warranty? You can unroot a successfully rooted phone, but you do run the risk of bricking your phone throughout the whole process. It's highly unlikely at this stage, but it's still something you should keep in mind.

12. Mr. Boom

I don't want to root, but would consider it just for this! I also got widgetlocker just to avoid using just that one button to wake the phone.