• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help App to prevent screen lock?

I have to hit end and menu to turn the screen on and it's annoying. Most of the time my phone is sitting on the counter, I want to just be able to touch the screen and go. With my BB all I had to do was hit the trackball, or any key really to wake the screen back up. I'd like to keep the auto-lock off and just be able to hit a button when I want to put it in my bag to lock the screen. Like old-school phones, lol.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the sarcasm. I homeschool them and my almost 8 year old reads at a 6th grade level and is doing 3rd grade math. The fact of the matter is I don't like the current system, and since there are a billion apps out there it would be nice if there was one to help with this. People are giving up their house phones nowadays so it would make sense for something simpler. Plenty of other phones have this option. The phone doesn't even have an LED to let you know if you have a message, so I do constantly have to get into it. I find that totally annoying. Please don't insult my intelligence because I want to change my phone when it seems that is all people do on this board!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the sarcasm. I homeschool them and my almost 8 year old reads at a 6th grade level and is doing 3rd grade math. The fact of the matter is I don't like the current system, and since there are a billion apps out there it would be nice if there was one to help with this. People are giving up their house phones nowadays so it would make sense for something simpler. Plenty of other phones have this option. The phone doesn't even have an LED to let you know if you have a message, so I do constantly have to get into it. I find that totally annoying. Please don't insult my intelligence because I want to change my phone when it seems that is all people do on this board!

Don't take it too personally, many of us here are techs without any social skills whatsoever (read: Linux users). I can understand your desire for doing this, of course, and I've not yet found much to do what you're asking.

I'm looking for something similar to the iPhone's screen lock which allows the screen to go into save mode (turn off) but the security lock doesn't engage until a set time after that. For instance:

I am in my car listening to the music player. Currently with the screen lock on, I have to draw a pattern every time the screen goes off. Very bad for driving. I'd prefer to set the pattern lock for 20 minutes after the screen goes off.

So, while I'm looking for what I want, I'll keep an eye out for something similar to which you're asking. Oh, and an easier way to browse the Market is through the computer at AndroidZoom.com - Browse the Android Market and download all available applications and games. Sure beats attempting anything through the phone.

Upvote 0
LOL thanks. :) I just found one called No Lock and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for! We'll see how it works throughout the day, but it's PERFECT. I can turn the lock off, so when the screen sleeps all I have to do is hit the end key to bring up the last screen I was on. :D Plus I can hit the shortcut I put on my homescreen and manually lock it whenever I want.

Upvote 0
Don't take it too personally, many of us here are techs without any social skills whatsoever (read: Linux users). I can understand your desire for doing this, of course, and I've not yet found much to do what you're asking.

I'm looking for something similar to the iPhone's screen lock which allows the screen to go into save mode (turn off) but the security lock doesn't engage until a set time after that. For instance:

I am in my car listening to the music player. Currently with the screen lock on, I have to draw a pattern every time the screen goes off. Very bad for driving. I'd prefer to set the pattern lock for 20 minutes after the screen goes off.

So, while I'm looking for what I want, I'll keep an eye out for something similar to which you're asking. Oh, and an easier way to browse the Market is through the computer at AndroidZoom.com - Browse the Android Market and download all available applications and games. Sure beats attempting anything through the phone.

I think I found the lock app you've been looking for, it's called Lock Delay. I found it by going to the link you provided, and typing "lock" in the seach. :D

Upvote 0
I just found one called No Lock and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Yep, I've been looking for the same thing (and no kids use my phone). The problem with No Lock and similar programs is that they can not start automatically at boot up. Meaning that every time you turn off the phone, replace the battery, etc., they must be manually restarted. No lock has a competitor which tries to start at boot, but concedes that it can't do so with the Droid (and our phone for that matter). Maybe this is a limitation on the Android system.

Upvote 0
LOL thanks. :) I just found one called No Lock and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for! We'll see how it works throughout the day, but it's PERFECT. I can turn the lock off, so when the screen sleeps all I have to do is hit the end key to bring up the last screen I was on. :D Plus I can hit the shortcut I put on my homescreen and manually lock it whenever I want.

I was using this great app, No Lock, for quite a while, but as of yesterday when I updated my Fascinate to Froyo, it doesn't work anymore.
frown.gif
Hopefully the developer will change it to work with Froyo soon! Anyone know of other unlock screen apps that work with Froyo? I've tried to find one, but can't so far...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones