• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App to report total storage used for each app installed with internal/sd allocation breakdown?

I should start out by saying this is a cross post from the HTC forum. I don't have an HTC but in trying to find an answer to my question regarding if an app exists I unloaded this data there in response to someone else that was looking as well. I felt it was wise to post this in the main app forum since it applies to all Android and not specific handsets. Hold on, here we go...

There needs to be an app that can easily break down what is where. The default 2.2 menu can be deceiving as are many of the apps such as App 2 SD if you don't realize that a stock device cannot move the entire app to the card. How do you know what % of the storage is left in the internal memory? Good question which I unfortunately do not have an answer to. Here is some example data off my phone. Granted there are several people that question the accuracy of DiskUsage but it has served me well over the past few months and worst case scenario it gives you a picture of what is out there.
1) Apps Used - App 2 SD (same info as internal app info but easier to see at a glance)
2) App - DiskUsage (SD directory apps2sd
3) App - Android System Info
4) Windows Explorer in USB mode to check SD app dump. Mainly in directory .android_secure but other places as well

2 Total Apps Checked
1) Dolphin HD
App 2 SD (& stock) - Confirmed on SD
Total = 4.9MB, Application = 1.31MB, Data = 3.59MB, Cache = 0B
Android System Info - Confirmed on SD
Total = 4.9MB, Application = 1.31MB, Data = 3.59MB, Cache = 0B
Disk Usage
4.9MB Internal Storage, 2.09MB SD Storage

2) MixZing
App 2 SD (& stock) - Confirmed on SD
Total = 4.08MB, Application = 3.55MB, Data = 548KB, Cache = 0B
Android System Info - Confirmed on SD
Total = 4.08MB, Application = 3.55MB, Data = 548KB, Cache = 0B
Disk Usage
2.91MB Internal Storage, 2.12MB SD Storage

Tested uninstalling Dolphin since it seemed to be the biggest hog and pulling free memory info from stock 2.2 screen.
Dolphin Reported on SD
SD Mem = 15.43GB, 9.45GB Avail
Internal Mem = 178.88MB, 19.47 Avail
After Uninstall
SD Mem = 15.43GB, 9.45GB Avail
Internal Mem = 178.88MB, 24.45 Avail

Dolphin Reinstalled
Apps2 SD Reports Movable
Total 3.38MB, App 3.38MB, Data 0B
After Move SD Reports
Total 1.32MB, app 1.32MB, Data 0B
Disk Usage Reports
Internal Storage 1.32MB
SD Storage 2.09MB

Quickly glancing at data reported by the stock 2.2 application it appears as though I have 12 apps that are more than 2GB in internal memory digging a bit deeper I actually have 17 apps that surpass 2GB of internal memory usage.

I know this has been a large post but there has to be some tool out there that allows you to easily see:
This is how much storage the app uses, this is how much is allocated internally and this is how much is allocated to the SD card.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones