App to respond with SMS after missed call

Last Updated:

1. kotelet

kotelet New Member

Hi,

At work my phone is silent. So, I often miss calls. I will call back people that are in my contact list. But, I will not call back if the phone number is unknown.

Is there a way (an app, or using Tasker) to automatically send an SMS (text message) if I don't answer a call of a number that is _not_ in my contact list?

There are lots of apps out there that will answer _only_ people in my contact list, but I want it the other way around: only send a message if the number is not in my contact list. The message would be something like: "Hi, I missed your call. Send me an SMS with your name and number and I will call back.".

Thanks,

Fred

Advertisement
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

With Tasker you could do this:

Context: Missed Call [Caller:!C:Any] (event, not state)
    Task:
    Send SMS [Recipient:%SMSRF Text:"Hi, I missed..."]
    kotelet likes this.
  3. kotelet

kotelet New Member

Thanks, UncleMike.

I didn't have time until yesterday to try out your solution. I may have to use %CNUM instead of %SMSRF, is that right? I just missed a call here at work and Tasker sent the SMS to the last person I sent an SMS to, instead of to the person whose call I missed :) I will check out the Tasker documentation when I get home.

Thanks,

Fred
  4. UncleMike

You're right. I guess I had a momentary lapse. :)
    kotelet likes this.
  5. kotelet

kotelet New Member

I have just tested and can now confirm that

Context: Missed Call [Caller:!C:Any] (event, not state)
    Task:Send SMS [Recipient:%CNUM Text:"Hi, I missed your call. ..."]

will send an SMS if I miss a call of a number that is not in my contact list.

Exactly what I wanted.

Well...one small improvement would be that it only sends SMSes to cell phones - numbers starting with +316 where I live. Adding

If: %CNUM ~R ^\+316

to the action will do the trick, I think. This means that the caller's number is matched against the regular expression ^\+316, which is any number starting with "+316".
  6. UncleMike

Yes, it does do a regular expression match, but it won'r necessarily limit it to cell phones.
  7. kotelet

kotelet New Member

Thanks, UncleMike. Where I live, all cell phone numbers start with +316, and all numbers that start with +316 are cell phone numbers. (I think my operator causes all numbers to be represented in international format.)

The If clause prevents my phone from sending SMSes to land line phones (I hope :).