• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root app to sd on marshmallow

May 20, 2015
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has managed to get a fully working app to SD method? I'm using link2sd with Vicky Bonick's mount script from apps2sd, it works for some apps but others force close on startup. Even removing the link doesn't stop the force closes, the app has to be reinstalled and then not linked to work again. Really hoping for a reliable solution as adoptable storage is useless!

I'm confused now.
If you use adaptive storage... then you don't need to move apps anymore right. Everything is already installed to the sd card. Are you saying there's some bug preventing to use all, or most, of the available space?

As for the forced closing of apps, that only happened to me when i tried to move apps to a slow class 4 sd card. On stock rom. It had like 4mb/s read speed.
But now it's running good, after i flashed cm13 and changed sd card. With theoretical max speed of 90/45 mb/s.

Upvote 0
Everything is already installed to the sd card

I would not agree to that. Only some part of an app is installed to SD (*obb, data). So still a vital part is stored on the mmc. FC also happened to me (class 10 SD card) and the apps were slow as hell.

I've never liked the adaptive storage idea and stopped using it after a day or two. But, there are surely some people who love it :)

Upvote 0
Only some part of an app is installed to SD (*obb, data). So still a vital part is stored on the mmc.

Ok but how much exactly does it still store on the mmc? Only small config files?

FC also happened to me (class 10 SD card) and the apps were slow as hell.

Well class 10 doesn't guarantee a high speed, only a minimal speed of 10 mb/s. Not all class 10 are created equal :) Use a speed test app to see how the card is doing.

Upvote 0
Ok but how much exactly does it still store on the mmc? Only small config files?

Well class 10 doesn't guarantee a high speed, only a minimal speed of 10 mb/s. Not all class 10 are created equal :) Use a speed test app to see how the card is doing.

Well, I see you're trying to be a smart *ss afer posting 6 messages. ;)

Actually I don't care how the card is doing in tests since it's fast enough to work as a portable storage. What's more, class 10 is fast enough in every Marshmallow specification. Of course the speed of a card may vary depending on a manufacturer but still snapdragon 200 can only handle up to uhs1.

Apks are still stored on the mmc.

You may read some more before posting, it has been discussed many times.

Upvote 0
Well, I see you're trying to be a smart *ss afer posting 6 messages. ;)

Actually I don't care how the card is doing in tests since it's fast enough to work as a portable storage. What's more, class 10 is fast enough in every Marshmallow specification. Of course the speed of a card may vary depending on a manufacturer but still snapdragon 200 can only handle up to uhs1.

Apks are still stored on the mmc.

You may read some more before posting, it has been discussed many times.

I'm not trying to be anything. Just trying to understand why it works for me but not for others.

I think i made valid points. You seem to take it personal...

Upvote 0
I formatted for adoptable, migrated data, no problem. I then started restoring apps with tb. They would restore up to a point and then refuse, saying not enough memory. I would then try to manually move some apps to sd, that would result in the no space on sd card message, even though 10gb remained. There have been numerous reports of adoptable not being fit for purpose for a variety of reasons, problems such as this being a large part of that.

Upvote 0
I formatted for adoptable, migrated data, no problem. I then started restoring apps with tb. They would restore up to a point and then refuse, saying not enough memory. I would then try to manually move some apps to sd, that would result in the no space on sd card message, even though 10gb remained. There have been numerous reports of adoptable not being fit for purpose for a variety of reasons, problems such as this being a large part of that.

Aha, so you are talking about apps that were backup-ed on a non-adaptive-storage system? That might be the only reason perhaps? Meaning this 'out of space' problem might not happen when restoring apps that were originally installed in the same environment?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not advocating how good adaptive storage is. I might even stop using it because of the risks involved. But so far it seems to do what it promises to do. If not, i have to read more about other people's experiences i guess.

Upvote 0
@Mystery_Flasher you say that Apk's are still stored on the mmc but i can't find that info. I only see a /data/app folder and a /mnt/expand/longcrazyname/app folder. Whatsapp insist on installing on internal, it goes to /data/app. The other user apps go to the mnt location which uses the sd card it seems.

And can you give one or more examples of apps that force close when placed on sd? I like to do a test, see if i get the same results.

Upvote 0
@Mystery_Flasher you say that Apk's are still stored on the mmc but i can't find that info. I only see a /data/app folder and a /mnt/expand/longcrazyname/app folder. Whatsapp insist on installing on internal, it goes to /data/app. The other user apps go to the mnt location which uses the sd card it seems.

And can you give one or more examples of apps that force close when placed on sd? I like to do a test, see if i get the same results.

The storage selection within a specific app is based on a set of rules incorporated by the developer. So there're apps that will still install solely to the mmc. Also, I resigned from using adaptive storage because of the fact that mmc will always be faster than any sd card.
I'm sorry but I cannot provide any force closing app example since I have used an adaptive storage a long time ago for a very brief period of time. And my memory is not that good.

Upvote 0
The storage selection within a specific app is based on a set of rules incorporated by the developer. So there're apps that will still install solely to the mmc.

Yes to my surprise i see this with some apps. Kind of defeats the whole adaptive storage setup...
However the apps that do install to the sd seem to move all their stuff on there. And not keep the apk on the mmc like you said. Perhaps i'm wrong but this was all i could find..

Also, I resigned from using adaptive storage because of the fact that mmc will always be faster than any sd card.

That was also a consideration i had. I thought, lets get the fastest card i can find and see if i run into speed problems. So far, so good, no problems.

I'm sorry but I cannot provide any force closing app example since I have used an adaptive storage a long time ago for a very brief period of time. And my memory is not that good.

Well let me give you an example: facebook refused to run properly when i used a class 4 card. But now it's running from sd without problems.

But hey, i'm not that experienced. Adoptable storage might still prove to become a problem after more time goes by. I already found out the hard way that after a factory reset the sd card is not recognized and needs to be formatted again. Perhaps logical for an experienced modder but i had not counted on that. Surprise suprise...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are many people who don't want to use adoptable storage for whatever reason, the point of starting this thread was to try to find alternatives, not to debate adoptable itself. I can't remember where I've seen these issues reported, probably on various rom threads or on xda.

Well, there's a great workaround - re-partitioning the MMC (internal memory) with the Partition Table Tool , if your model is supported.
It's a perfect solution for me, since it doesn't make use of SD at all. Afer running the tool, your internal memory will store 2,3 or even 2,6 GB of data. It's way better than playing around with scripts (my personal opinion based on experience) :)
Sorry if you've been misunderstood in the first place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones