1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

App to stream music, video from PC to phone?

Last Updated:

1. munkytown

munkytown Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've searched several forums but it's been hard to find a clear-cut answer for the app I'm looking for. There is an app for iphone called "here file file" that from what I understand allows a user to access and play pretty much any file such as audio and video on their iphone that is on their Mac. You don't have to be at home using your own wifi connection or any wifi connection for that matter. So basically you can access your Mac files from anywhere and play them on your iphone. I've seen remote desktop apps but I'm not sure they do the same thing and I've seen mention of things like orb and vlc but does anyone know if they do what I'm looking for? I have a new Samsung Moment and would love to be able to do this. Thanks much.

Advertisement
  2. Son of Spam

Son of Spam Member

Hey, munkeytown ("Won't You Take Me To..."):

Try Gmote. It took me a while to get it going, but just follow the FAQs and you should be fine. I used for a while, but then I just got myself a 16G SD Card (OBVIOUSLY, still not enough when you have access to your entire PC/Mac's hard drive).

What I didn't like about it was the lag time between songs, not to mention the buffer time it would take from time to time. But after a few runs it seemed to work much more smoothly.

It's highly rated, so feel free to try it out.

Cheers! :D

-Son of Spam

3. n00bface

n00bface New Member

I spent hours and hours searching for something like this a few weeks ago and found Subsonic, which is easily the best application I've found for this purpose. GMote doesn't even come close -- then again, GMote was not made to be a music streaming application either.

4. munkytown

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not clear on whether or not Gmote will allow me to watch the videos (mostly .avi) from my phone which are on my computer. Also, I just ordered a 16GB micro SD card for my phone but what would having a micro SD card in my phone have to do with only accessing the files on my computer? I'm not wanting to transfer them from my computer to my phone. Just play them, as if I were streaming from my computer to a laptop via wifi.

5. munkytown

Sorry n00bface, you must have posted as I was writing my reply. I read a little bit about Subsonic earlier today but again, as with the other apps I've looked at, there doesn't seem to be a clear-cut answer or description as to whether it does what I'm looking for in an app. So from your experience using it, does it do what I've tried to describe, although I know I'm probably not doing a very good job describing it. :p

6. vwvapor

vwvapor Well-Known Member

Orblive

7. munkytown

Looks more like what I'm looking for. I'll check out reviews and comments and then maybe give it a try. Thank you!

8. jUsT2eXy

jUsT2eXy Well-Known Member

I too am looking for an app to stream videos from my laptop over WiFi to my HTC Hero...

Can anyone recommend an app to do this?

Hopefully there isn't any lagg... :)

Edit: Orb is okay...but I want something that uses my wireless network to stream.. I don't want an internet based streaming service like orb...

Any recommendations?

9. jUsT2eXy

bump

10. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

Try estrong file manager. It can access files and even move them over WiFi.

11. jUsT2eXy

Hi there thanks for the reply...

But can the app 'stream' video from my pc over my wireless network to my phone?

I really want an app that can do it 'locally' so to speak.. just over my network.. not something like Orb.. :)

12. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

It works on mine. I can play music, view photos, etc. Haven't tried video though

13. lkjsdfalsdk

lkjsdfalsdk New Member

Can we revive this thread please?? I am still searching for an adequate video streaming over wifi service for my android phone.

14. yawamo

yawamo New Member

Yes, I'm looking for one too.
    Much like this one for Apple:
    Code (Text):
    1. http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html
    There is a thread on their website requesting for Android Support, but no mods/admins have replied as of now...
    Code (Text):
    1. http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/15/351.page#9802
    Anyone know of an app which does exactly this for Android? Or can anyone dev it? lol

15. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

From the research I've done myself.. I've ended up using two apps for this purpose...

SubSonic for audio.. haven't found anything close yet.. but it isn't exactly what I'd call a true stream. It seems to start the music right away, but in the background it's actually copying the file to your SD card as a 'cache' of sorts. In fact it copies an entire album when you only might want one song.. BUT.. the sound is incredible even over 3g. Still the best music streamer out there and the dev updates it often.

For Video it's a bit tougher.. the biggest issue is that Android dues not currently support standard streaming protocols from what I understand. Therefore an app has to be specially written and only ONE so far has video streaming that I've found.. and that's Orb. Sadly the app isn't the greatest, and even over WiFi I get horrible artifacts.

Once Froyo is available we might be able to use Orb's Flash web based player, which is MUCH better. Using orb on a remote PC is extremely nice. The only downside is that you use the Orb servers to 'connect' you to your home machine running the streamer. There doesn't seem to be a way to simply jump straight home.

I personally hate waiting, but I believe once Flash is on a few devices officially we'll see a lot more movement on the video front.. it will allow people to write video compilers that can handle other video formats.

16. betac

betac Active Member

Any new update in the past 4 months?

17. Reap

Reap Well-Known Member

Galaxy S the program that comes with the phone lets you stream all your music/video/pictures to your phone from your compter (allshare). I use it all the time lol.
    but if i remember correctly Gmote allows this feature