1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

App to switch off Bluetooth determined by GPS position

Last Updated:

1. kiwi_harry

kiwi_harry Member This Topic's Starter

Hi.

Does anybody know of an app that can switch off your bluetooth depending on your GPS position?

I want to automatically have my Bluetooth switched off when I am at home and switch it on again when I am away from home or more than a certain distance away from home.

Regards

Harry

Advertisement
  2. BigD562

BigD562 Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure Tasker will be able to do that.

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Tasker can do it as well as Locale. I think Setting Profiles can do it as well.

maew likes this.
  4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Tasker definitely.

Though you might want to read Tasker: Location Without Tears which can be found on the Tasker site. Constantly checking location using GPS can quickly kill your battery. GPS isn't the only method that Tasker can use to determine your location. For example, I use a "Cell Near" state context to toggle Google Voice forwarding to my office landline based on whether I'm near the office or not.

Personally, I haven't seen much impact on battery life leaving BT on all the time.

kiwi_harry likes this.
  5. BigD562

Could I use tasker to create a rule to use my GV number for certain contacts?

6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

If you figure out how, please post.

I long for the day where I can set which dialer to use as default per contact. I use GV for all of my work contacts and don't want to dial out with my regular number, but I use my regular number for all my personal contacts and don't want to confuse people.

It's just a tiny thing, but it'd be really nice to not have to select for each call.

7. LaCeS OuT

LaCeS OuT Well-Known Member

Why not use GV Callback? I use it and it works great. It will ask you every time you make a call if you want GV to call you back. If you choose Callback, it sends a data packet out and your GV number will call you. Answer the call and it connects you to your contact using your GV number. Also works great to prevent accidental dialing.

8. binary visions

Maybe my problem wasn't clear. I don't need call back, as GV already asks me every time when I make a call if I want to use GV, or not use it.

What I would like is the ability to set a preference on each contact to either use GV, or not use GV. So when I hit Coworker A, it automatically calls using GV. But when I hit Family Member A, it doesn't use GV.

9. binary visions

10. BigD562

I was about to post that app. At first it didnt work then it just got updated and works fine. Just make a group called GV or google voice and put people in there and associate the app to use your GV number to call and it will do it automatically.

11. nowires

nowires Member

Locale should be able to handle that as well. But now you guys have me interested in Tasker when the number of post for it.

12. binary visions

Tasker is incredible. Buy it, use it, love it.

If you download it from the Tasker website, you get 7 days to try it out.

Tasker for Android

kiwi_harry likes this.
  13. kiwi_harry

kiwi_harry Member This Topic's Starter

I will give Tasker a try. I didn't know about the 7 day trial with the website download, so that will be much better than the 24 hours offered with the app via the Marketplace.