App uninstall: Market thinks it's still installed

Last Updated:

1. cephraim

cephraim Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have used Uninstaller to try to remove an app on my rooted Hero.

It certainly seems like it is removed. But, when I go to the Market to try to reinstall it, it as listed as "installed" in the Downloads section. When I click on it, both the "Open" and "Uninstall" buttons are grayed out. So, I can't even reinstall it.

FWIW - the app is Yellowbook (US Yellow Pages Search).

Is there some residual file on my phone that I might be able to delete with ES File Explorer or via adb?

Thanks,
    Eph

Advertisement
  2. cephraim

cephraim Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Never mind.
    Figured it out.

1. Start by making sure the market isn't running (task manager of your choice, or settings->applications->manage applications, Market, 'Force Stop' button).
    2. Then open a terminal and through adb:

su
    rm -r /data/data/com.android.vending/*
    Finally, restart the market (it may take a minute and possibly throw an "Application Not Responding", just press wait)

3. vic2pc

vic2pc Member

Now, the above again in English, please? :) Android thinks I have "Voice Search" installed, but I don't. What to do?

4. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

Your handset will need to be rooted to perform what he said above. Basically, his method is to connect your handset to your computer via a USB cable and perform the Linux command to remove the files in the Android Market data directory using the Android SDK via the Android Debug Bridge, which is also known as ADB.

An easier way would be to use Root Explorer or EStrongs File Explorer right on your handset to accomplish the same task. Your handset would still need root though. To be honest, if you are rooted already, I would recommend trying to wipe cache and Dalvik cache first before attempting the above steps. See if that helps.