• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help App Updates - Can they be "automatic"?

Larryf

Jul 18, 2010
I thought there was a way to set the Droid to "automatically" download and install updates to apps that were on the phone.

I currently have to go into the Market app, click on Menu -> Downloads and see if any are marked 'Update Available' and update each one.

Is there a way to automate this or at least get a pop-up notification that an update is available?

I thought there was a way to set the Droid to "automatically" download and install updates to apps that were on the phone.

I currently have to go into the Market app, click on Menu -> Downloads and see if any are marked 'Update Available' and update each one.

Is there a way to automate this or at least get a pop-up notification that an update is available?

With Android 2.2 and the new market app it has you can turn on automatic updates for certain apps or all of them. Some still require a manual update, I'm not sure why (maybe a change in permissions, etc?)

You should get a notification when there are updates to apps via notification bar. I'm not sure what triggers a notification to be sent, but I would imagine it is related to syncing. I notice I get notifed when there are at least 3 or 4 updates available, so maybe its just trying to group them together?

Upvote 0
With Android 2.2 and the new market app it has you can turn on automatic updates for certain apps or all of them. Some still require a manual update, I'm not sure why (maybe a change in permissions, etc?)

You should get a notification when there are updates to apps via notification bar. I'm not sure what triggers a notification to be sent, but I would imagine it is related to syncing. I notice I get notifed when there are at least 3 or 4 updates available, so maybe its just trying to group them together?

Yes, you're forced to do manual updates in Froyo only when there's a change in permissions.

I usually only get a notification for updates after I visit the market

I'm not sure about this either, but I think that the Android Market might poll for updates at set intervals, and by opening the Market you're doing a manual poll for updates in between those intervals. Just a guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones