App Updates - Can they be "automatic"?Support

Last Updated:

1. Larryf

Larryf Active Member This Topic's Starter

I thought there was a way to set the Droid to "automatically" download and install updates to apps that were on the phone.

I currently have to go into the Market app, click on Menu -> Downloads and see if any are marked 'Update Available' and update each one.

Is there a way to automate this or at least get a pop-up notification that an update is available?

Advertisement
  2. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

With Android 2.2 and the new market app it has you can turn on automatic updates for certain apps or all of them. Some still require a manual update, I'm not sure why (maybe a change in permissions, etc?)

You should get a notification when there are updates to apps via notification bar. I'm not sure what triggers a notification to be sent, but I would imagine it is related to syncing. I notice I get notifed when there are at least 3 or 4 updates available, so maybe its just trying to group them together?

3. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

I usually only get a notification for updates after I visit the market

4. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Auto-updates won't come until 2.2.

Another change with apps in 2.2 is the ability to "Update All", like the iOS devices. No more having to update one at a time manually.

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yes, you're forced to do manual updates in Froyo only when there's a change in permissions.

I'm not sure about this either, but I think that the Android Market might poll for updates at set intervals, and by opening the Market you're doing a manual poll for updates in between those intervals. Just a guess.