• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help apparently I shut my phone off while sleeping??

bword

Android Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2010
CT
Late for work due to my cell phone alarm not going off. I know its a sad excuse lol, I have a alarm clock. However somehow I manage to shut off my cell phone in my sleep or occasionally in my pocket. Is there a app to make it perhaps one extra step to shutting down the phone?

On my Captivate, to turn it off you have to hold the power button AND press the shut off selection that appears. Otherwise the phone doesn't turn off, I think you might have experienced the phone randomly shutting off by itself like some of us here have.

Happened to me twice but hasn't again for almost 2 months.

Upvote 0
On my Captivate, to turn it off you have to hold the power button AND press the shut off selection that appears. Otherwise the phone doesn't turn off, I think you might have experienced the phone randomly shutting off by itself like some of us here have.

Happened to me twice but hasn't again for almost 2 months.

could be randomly happening..it has happening before. Im running a 2.2 beta cog so IDK if thats common with it or not.

Upvote 0
Could it be that the battery died?

Unless you sleep walk, it should be a bit hard to accidentally turn off the phone as it's at least a 2 step process, if not more. I use a lock screen so it's a 3 step process - unlock, press / hold power button, select power off.

I have the dot style screen lock and all I have to do is is hold the power key for a second and boom im one step away from shutdown. I dont need to unlock the phone for it to turn off.

Upvote 0
I have the dot style screen lock and all I have to do is is hold the power key for a second and boom im one step away from shutdown. I dont need to unlock the phone for it to turn off.
Interesting. Seems like Touch Wiz (Samsung's UI) and HTC Sense (HTC UI) both allow you to shut off the phone even when the phone is unlocked.

Vanilla Android 2.1 did not allow this on my Samsung Moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones