AppBrain workaround - Which Apps to install?

Last Updated:

1. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So it looks like there's a way to sidestep AT&T's restrictions using AppBrain. I'm curious which apps/games/widgets you've managed to download and install this way that are worth looking into. Let's get a list going!

HowTo: Install the Appbrain app and the Easy Web Install app. Both are easily available in the restricted marketplace. For the Easy Web Install, you have to walk through the process so it "sets you up". Then, just go to Appbrain.com in your browser, head on over to "my apps" and click "install" next to the desired app.

So, besides Angry Birds (which is AWESOME), what other apps/etc are available this way that are not available via the official marketplace, and doesn't require root?

Advertisement
  2. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

I installed angry birds and Where! app. I dont understand why att charges for where , when every other provider gives it out for free, including the iphone

3. MaximumBobLutz

MaximumBobLutz New Member

or you could just use market access with the SRE rom. Lets you emulate the verizon, t-mobile or sprint market so you can get all those restricted apps.

4. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Why install a whole different ROM when a simple free utility will do the trick without having to root or go to even more extremes? Not really reasonable advice.

Sort of like hunting deer with a 50mm gun, or using a tank to drive to the corner store for milk.

5. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wait, are you telling me you would do neither of those? Ka-BLAM! Deer is GONE! And who wouldn't rock a tank down to the corner store? =P

I'm hoping to just get apps that you can install via this method for people like me who don't want to root just yet, especially with 2.2 just around the corner.

BTW, I discovered this morning that I was still in Airplane mode from previous attempts. I don't know if you have to be in Airplane mode for this method. I did not come up with this method, I only included it in the original post so people wouldn't have to scratch around for it and then come back.