• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple files for import ban of HTC Phones to U.S.

albiewan

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2009
Long Beach CA
Maybe this is redundant but since Apple has now upped the anty by filing additional motions to immediately stop importation of HTC phones into the USA, this could explain all the delays and lack of news from Verizon about Incredible and Nexus One. Here is the link and excuse me if its already posted (but I didn't see it anywhere: Verizon Nexus One Release Update: Import Restrictions To U.S. :thinking:

This is getting to be extremely frustrating. I have never had a problem with Apple before. I even own a Mac Mini and iPod Touch, but I will never buy from them again. I won't go as far as saying their lawsuits are unfounded, because how can anyone know for sure? Anyone can say there is no patent infringement, but how would normal consumers actually prove that?

Anyway, if this block on imports holds up I will be eternally miffed. I had thought about the iPad until this whole lawsuit thing came up to begin with. Now I am an android fan for life. I am even getting the Archos 5 Android tablet in a few days.

Apple=Lame

Upvote 0
The article seems like it is targeting the Nexus One. Hopefully it is not only talking about the nexus one because it's the only one that is actually known on paper to be coming to Verizon, but it is actually only trying to stop the nexus one. Becauseeeee.... I NEED THE INCREDIBLE

Upvote 0
The article seems like it is targeting the Nexus One. Hopefully it is not only talking about the nexus one because it's the only one that is actually known on paper to be coming to Verizon, but it is actually only trying to stop the nexus one. Becauseeeee.... I NEED THE INCREDIBLE
Apple appears to be going through the backdoor by suing HTC instead of taking on Google directly. As I'm sure everyone knows, HTC makes a few different Android phones and a ban would most certainly affect all of them. Way too complicated...

Upvote 0
So now Apple is going after the Nexus One? When the hell is Google going to step in here? It's their freaking phone. Apple is so vindictive and conniving - they are not going after Google but instead showing the harm they can inflict on Google's closest partners. Steve jobs needs to step down.

Upvote 0
This is getting to be extremely frustrating. I have never had a problem with Apple before. I even own a Mac Mini and iPod Touch, but I will never buy from them again. I won't go as far as saying their lawsuits are unfounded, because how can anyone know for sure? Anyone can say there is no patent infringement, but how would normal consumers actually prove that?

I read the list and some things were out well before the iphone. Apple likes to try to make themselves look like the first to everything when they are just copies. Apple sued windows in the beginning (unsuccessfully) and THEY were a copy in many ways as well. They also are making the ipad look like it's some new thing when there have been many very similar devices out.

I personally don't like apple because they are very controlling with what you can do with and what software you can have with their products.

Upvote 0
I think Google needs to step in since HTC made the Nexus 1 and if they were banned Google would lose so much not being able to sell their phones. Google step in since Apple is getting sued also something needs to be done so Apple realizes they cant just intimidate competitors when they themselves are just as guilty for copying others ideas.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to pretend like I know who is in the right here, but seemingly this thing eventually gets settled for money in the end if Apple's patents are being infringed upon. But blocking the import of phones to the US is seriously anti-competitive and bad for consumers. I would think a court would say "no way" to this request, because in a licensing agreement Apple makes way less than if it takes away choices and forces consumers towards its own hardware where the revenue per unit would be orders of magnitude higher. Jobs is trying to mask his greed behind what appears on the surface to be an attempt to protect intellectual property. It's one thing to fight this behind the scenes and settle royalties, but it's totally something else to prevent someone from offering their products altogether. Lame.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to pretend like I know who is in the right here, but seemingly this thing eventually gets settled for money in the end if Apple's patents are being infringed upon. But blocking the import of phones to the US is seriously anti-competitive and bad for consumers. I would think a court would say "no way" to this request, because in a licensing agreement Apple makes way less than if it takes away choices and forces consumers towards its own hardware where the revenue per unit would be orders of magnitude higher. Jobs is trying to mask his greed behind what appears on the surface to be an attempt to protect intellectual property. It's one thing to fight this behind the scenes and settle royalties, but it's totally something else to prevent someone from offering their products altogether. Lame.
This lawsuit is about profits. Millions of dollars of profits. Like I've posted before, Apple is not going to sue Google head on. They picked HTC because they make the phones and don't have the very deep pockets that Google has. The crappy part is the possibility of putting a hold any future HTC phones until this thing gets settled (probably out of court) IMHO.

Upvote 0
Your talking about the HD2, not the Evo. The Evo is going to be on Sprint and will be using Android.
Oops you're right! Evo is the Android. Sorry, got them confused. I had gone to play with the HD2 because it is supposed to be the same dimensions. However, since it's Android OS then it would become part of the whole stinkin' lawsuit it seems.

Upvote 0
Actually, I'm pretty sure a site said it included windows mobile so the HD2 would be in this as well. I'm pretty sure it was for anything with a touch screen (apple seems to think they were the first to make a touch screen phone).
Somebody need to take a big bite out of Apple and Google's the one that can do it. I'm normally a very positive guy but I got a bad feeling that the Incredible is going to be in limbo for a while...

Upvote 0
Evo is Windows phone (but with Sense), so, probably not...I'm looking at the Evo myself (did a hands-on at local T Mobile store) but I'm not real excited about T Mobile's coverage...duh...been corrected already...tired, long day *wink* at one point I was considering switching to this HD2 even though it a windows phone but then I came to my senses...but the physical aspect of it is awesome.
First, the EVO is an Android phone. Second, it affects all phone that "infringes" on Apple's patents. So any phones that uses technology related to lowering voltage to conserve battery, multitouch gestures, and the like will be affected.

Upvote 0
Actually, I'm pretty sure a site said it included windows mobile so the HD2 would be in this as well. I'm pretty sure it was for anything with a touch screen (apple seems to think they were the first to make a touch screen phone).

If I remember from what I read it is not a touchscreen issue, rather a multi-touch issue that apple is fighting against. I agree though, rather childish of them.. People are supposed to all create better things, touching the screen with more than one finger at a time should not be something you can patent!!

Upvote 0
If I remember from what I read it is not a touchscreen issue, rather a multi-touch issue that apple is fighting against. I agree though, rather childish of them.. People are supposed to all create better things, touching the screen with more than one finger at a time should not be something you can patent!!
Actually one of the infringements is a single touch touchscreen gesture to unlock (otherwise known as Slide to Unlock).

Upvote 0
Here are all the 20 items Apple is suing over FWIW...

Rotten Apple: HTC sued over 20 patents – Android and Me
Very interesting post, having read those individual items, it's going to take TechnoGeek attorneys and witnesses FOREVER to sort all that out. All apple is going to do is slow down the competition while they gear up for their own new stuff. In the meantime we have to sit on the sidelines in the cheap seats waiting for the outcome.

Upvote 0
This lawsuit is about profits. Millions of dollars of profits. Like I've posted before, Apple is not going to sue Google head on. They picked HTC because they make the phones and don't have the very deep pockets that Google has. The crappy part is the possibility of putting a hold any future HTC phones until this thing gets settled (probably out of court) IMHO.

My whole point is that if they block import, it sets a bad precedent for what amounts to a huge stunt by Apple to give themselves an unfair advantage while the competition fails to generate revenue, possibly endangering their solvency. As I said, it's anti-competitive in the spirit of our economic structure. It's really no different than refusing bail which only happens in the severest of cases. Let the import be, and if the courts rule in Apple's favor, they get their due share from licensure as determined by the court. The suit is what it is. The import block is pure BS and makes Jobs and company look like a bunch of arrogant, greedy a$$holes.

Upvote 0
My whole point is that if they block import, it sets a bad precedent for what amounts to a huge stunt by Apple to give themselves an unfair advantage while the competition fails to generate revenue, possibly endangering their solvency. As I said, it's anti-competitive in the spirit of our economic structure. It's really no different than refusing bail which only happens in the severest of cases. Let the import be, and if the courts rule in Apple's favor, they get their due share from licensure as determined by the court. The suit is what it is. The import block is pure BS and makes Jobs and company look like a bunch of arrogant, greedy a$$holes.
Agree 100%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones