• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple headphones on Galaxy, problems with sound.

Its simple. Its because there is no standard way to wire the 4 pin jack. Samsung have wired the 4th pin one way and Apple a different way.

The only way to fix it is to rewire your apple headphones - Either by cutting the wire, finding what needs to be swapped and resoldering it, or chopping the jack off the end and soldering a new one on.

Its not really samsungs fault!

Upvote 0
But who does it the default way and who doesnt? As long as I can find some other handsfree than samsungs bundled one I'm happy. If the Apple one is the only one that ain't working, it's ok. I ripped it apart anyway cause I got so pissed. I'll never buy an Apple product as long as I live.

Upvote 0
Thats just it, there is no standard way for the 4th pin :(

It'll just have to be trial and error to figure it out. Or maybe you can google for pinouts. I'm sure all the samsung phones use the same pinouts, so even if u cant find the ones for the galaxy headset you can probably find one for another samsung handset

Upvote 0
Apple pinout:

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/iphone_headphone_pinout.shtml

1 Left audio
2 Right audio
3 Ground
4 Microphone

The button shorts mic to ground.

I just looked at this properly, and it makes no sense. Because the first 3 connections must be standard. That only leaves pin 4 for the mic. Its possible the button on the samsung shorts another pin, but the without the button pressed it should work!

I've just held the two headphone jacks side to side, and I can see that the samsung one has a reses. The apple one doesnt go all the way in and so doesnt connect the right pin to the right spot.

Hmm actually the resessed part doesnt go into the socket. This is really wierd, doesnt make too much sense.

Ok I got it. Mic and ground are transposed between the samsung/iphone headphones.

Upvote 0
It's random, sometimes it changes album, sometimes song, and other times it doesn't do squat.

So basically the ground and mic parts are switched around on the samsung vs iphone headsets? Seeing as the iPhone handsfree works on the HTC Hero, I'm guessing it's samsung that once again has messed up things. Way to go.

Upvote 0
Ok htf do you skip to the next track on the music player? press once seems to be pause/play, and hold it down skipped a couple of times, but now just takes me back to the main artists/albumns etc screen

be aware that the remote for samsung is bugged and after a few phone calls its got a delay on it

it can only be used to pause or skip track
hold for 1 second to start musc player
tap once to stop or start track
tap twice with a .25 of a second gap in between presses to skip track

this is consistent but i find if i have a phone call then you have to hold 2sec to start and hold 2 secs to stop and there is no way to skip track till you reboot

Upvote 0
Handsfree works fine for me. Perhaps a different set of headphones/switch? (UK phone, end of Sep. with v.I4 firmware)

Scenario 1)
- Music playing (single album, normal, not shuffle)
- Phone rings.
- Hit silver button on cord which stops music and answers phone.
- When call ends, do not mess with button. ( If the other person does not hang up, there could be a problem, but that's very rare. )
- Call ends on remote disconnect.
- Music automatically resumes.
- Buttons still work as normal.

Scenario 2)
Music, ring, button, chat...
At this point, if you hit that sliver button one or more times and attempt to end the call, you may end up sending signals to music player, such as 'set the player to party shuffle and go to next track'. Buttons work well after that, but at that point its too annoying, so you'll probably just pull over, change back to album, single and carry on.

But at least you stayed legal and the buttons work as expected. :p

Anyone else?

Upvote 0
Hmm I dont mind too much if a call messes it up, but when i'm listening to music on the train or tube I want the buttons to work!

If i transfer 5 music tracks to the sdcard, then play the first one, i can skip to the next using the onscreen buttons. If i hold the button down for a second then let go, it pauses. If i hold it down again it plays. If i hold it down for 2 seconds, it skips to the next track. Then it just stops working for skipping. When i press it to skip it just goes to the main albumn/song selection screen.

I'm amazed that samsung couldnt even get this right :p

Upvote 0
I got the same problems connecting my universal fm transmitter 3.5mm Jack like others seems to work when put under a little pressure so looks like poor fitting ports! Dissapointing that Samsung should incorperate non universal connections in the audio dept after showing new ground breaking cooperation with what is to be the universal standard in the micro usb charging port!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones