Apple patents iPhone Mobile Navigation / Mapping App

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by justjimjpc, Jan 6, 2009.

1. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member
    VIP Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    With the introduction of iPhone 3G with a GPS sensor, many fans expected a bonanza of various navigation apps for the new phone.

And, to be sure, there are quite a few of them using location capabilities.
    But, due to the limited use of GPS sensor that Apple allows on iPhone, very few serious navigation/mapping apps made it to the new platform. The reason for these limitations?

more...

Advertisement
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Android Scientists
    The Lab
    First great post/find. I like this info.

Second:

This and bunch of other info make me very happy to be a G1 user with all the cool gps stuff we have. I do wish the battery life was better and I could leave gps running all the time, but using Power Manager I just have one click on a shortcut to enable it and away I go.

Point: Android!

3. justjimjpc

VIP Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    I am thinking about making a dual battery pack out of two batteries 1000 to 1200mAh each giving at least a 90% increase over a single one ... a slight mod to back cover with a flexible membrane should be ok to accommodate the piggy-back arrangement ...

4. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Android Scientists
    The Lab
    Are you a modder with mad skillz or a jokester with mic? I am interested in seeing the mod if you actually are serious.

5. justjimjpc

VIP Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    No i am serious ... the end result cant be any worse looking than the one for the iPhone Speakers be driven from the mini-Usb Connector on the G1 ... I am still considering the best way to do it ... will definately keep the forum posted as to progress and intent ....