Apple renditions of classic landmarks

1. brava27

brava27 Member

S3 user, with an ipod Touch and tech reader.
    I realized that iOS 6 does not have Google Maps or youtube installed anymore.

Is this because of that lawsuit? Is Apple sticking it to Google, or is Google sticking it to Apple?

Anyone know what the deal is here?
    Love google to death and Apple is kinda lost here.

Advertisement
    :
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Because Apple will make their own Map and Video service and you know how they are, they don't like competition in their garden. It's Apple's decision.
  3. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Part of Apples "thermonuclear war" on Google.:rolleyes:
    NYCHitman1 likes this.
  4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Absolutely hysterical!!!!
  5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

it was announce several months ago.. that they would drop google maps and youtube.. that dont want to feed google (their #1 competition).
  6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

To be completely fair this is how it is showing on my phone. Better with Google Earth.

The others are pretty funny though. The melting bridges and monochrome cities are pretty sad.

[​IMG]
  7. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

That's not what I'm seeing on my phone. I see the statue on street view.
  8. ari-free

[​IMG]

The Brooklyn Bridge
  9. binaryhermit

binaryhermit Well-Known Member

There's a YouTube app in the app store. I also seem to remember Google saying that there would be Google maps in the app store.
  10. OfTheDamned

You know, I didn't even look at street view.
  11. ari-free

Apple doesn't have street view. It's not something they can simply fix with more code or shinier buttons.
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Is Google still the default search with iOS 6? - or is Apple doing their own search as well? - or are they using Yahoo or Bing now?

Although on iPhones in China, the default search is Baidu, plus they use Baidu maps, and have apps for Tudou and Youku for video.
  13. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

For those of you with iPads, once you upgrade to iOS6, you will lose the native youtube app, AND your only replacement is the youtube app for the iPhone. Yes, iPhone. There is no app optimized for the iPad yet.

It's something to consider if you used the native youtube app a lot on your ipad. I'm holding off updating my ipad2 until I see a tablet youtube app get released.
    dan330 likes this.
  14. ari-free

New Delhi
    [​IMG]
  15. OfTheDamned

That reminds me of a matchbox racetrack my son owns.
  16. ari-free

[​IMG]

Sundsvall Sweden is in the cloud.
  17. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

This is what happens when you let your hardware refresh drive your software release schedule, and your rivalry with Google to take priority over functionality. I admit that I am surprised that they slipped this badly though.

Even the Apple blogs seem unable to find a positive spin. As for how it's being reported in the media over here, there's the BBC's take or the Guardian's (love the final quote in that one).

Meanwhile, here's someone's collection of errors on tumblr.
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  18. ari-free

Wow this goes way beyond crappy 3D renderings.
  19. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I like this one:
    [​IMG]
  20. OfTheDamned

I am actually really shocked that Apple released something this messed up.
  21. pbf98

pbf98 Well-Known Member Contributor

This passed the testing stages?

From the pictures I am seeing, I don't think they should have cut the cord from google so soon

I get they're trying out new things which is good for them, but I think they should consider this to be beta of their maps.
  22. ari-free

Earth according to Apple

[​IMG]
  23. ari-free

It's funny because the other day the worst thing in the world was that some Android icons have inconsistent sizes.
  24. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

awesome!