• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Stealing FaceTime Information, ATT Locks Out Jailbreaking/non-ATT Networks VIA OTA Updates

woofermazing

May 15, 2010
Hopefully not a repost.

Leaked: Apple Stealing All FaceTime Information, AT&T Locks Users via OTA Updates

An Apple employee (call him “Alpha”) who works in the iPhone Development Department has leaked some information to us recently, most of which will come as a surprise to many. The amount of shocking information leaked is beyond the grasp of an individual and shows how far Apple and AT&T will go to lock their users and steal their information while they have no clue about it.

Just to clarify, I will not disclose his name because he personally asked me not to since he didn’t wanted to end up like Gray Powell. The proofs are given down in this article to verify the credibility of this leak.
First off, we will divide the leaks into different topics in order of the communication that took place.

• With iOS 4, AT&T locks all US iPhone owners to their network via regular OTA updates.
  • AT&T shipped some iPhone 4 early to verify their OTA update system.
  • Apple stealing user information via FaceTime, which lacks encryption.
  • Some Apple employees who are aware of this situation are not updating to iOS 4.
In a linked article, they go more in depth with the facetime claims. There are screenshots showing that Facetime will not work unless your phone is able to send SMS texts. They also layout the method to reproduce it, so anyone can verify some aspects of the story themselves.

Reactions: rdub53
There isn't 100% confirmation on this yet, but I have no doubt that Apple is collecting information on you. However, Google is too, to my knowledge, in order to give you ads that you would be interested in. As far as jailbroken phones, that's more than likely AT&T. Apple has already made the money from the sale of the phone so I doubt they care what you do with it, but it's possible. Apple has developed a history of almost being like a secret society that keeps its secrets as locked down as possible.

Upvote 0
lol News flash! Google has been doing this for years. Thats how they advertise to you by collecting info about you to see what you like. Its not just apple. Face it whether you use an Iphone or an Android know that info is being collected some how.

Do they monitor your phone to check if you've rooted it so they can void your warranty? Don't think so.

Upvote 0
Do they monitor your phone to check if you've rooted it so they can void your warranty? Don't think so.

No they don't do that and have no idea if you're phone is rooted or not. They only collect things like location data or data on the things you usually like to search for so they can better give you advertising that is geared towards you. They aren't taking personal data like phone numbers, your pics or texts or anything like that so don't worry.

Upvote 0
No they don't do that and have no idea if you're phone is rooted or not. They only collect things like location data or data on the things you usually like to search for so they can better give you advertising that is geared towards you. They aren't taking personal data like phone numbers, your pics or texts or anything like that so don't worry.
How do you know? Not trying to attack you, but I have never seen a clear and convincing explanation with evidence of what they do or don't collect (or can collect), and if you read their privacy policy carefully it really doesn't seem to commit them to much of anything except the pursuit of their own self-interest. I see various opinions on the matter in various places, but nothing solid. If anything like that exists I would be very interested in seeing it.

Upvote 0
lol News flash! Google has been doing this for years. Thats how they advertise to you by collecting info about you to see what you like. Its not just apple. Face it whether you use an Iphone or an Android know that info is being collected some how.

Yes, but Google is upfront about it.

They don't do it secretly.

When people start collecting information in secret, then something is going on that they don't want you to know about.

Upvote 0
If Google was collecting personal information with all of the developers cooking ROMs it would have been seen.
That, and the source code to Android is available.

If Google was collecting personal data I would bet that it would be discovered within hours.

If you don't like that sort of thing... turn it off.
Does the iPhone have a kill switch? Last time I checked... no.

Upvote 0
You can turn all the google collecting off. Its optional.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
Without knowing exactly what's being collected and when, how do you know whether you want/need to? Assuming you're not a Java/Android developer with the ability to peruse the source code, I mean. I wish I could find a clear and unbiased article about this.

Upvote 0
Without knowing exactly what's being collected and when, how do you know whether you want/need to? Assuming you're not a Java/Android developer with the ability to peruse the source code, I mean. I wish I could find a clear and unbiased article about this.

You don't have to be, the outcry would be enough.
That's why there is an outcry right now about Apple potentially doing it.
Then you would have 50 articles to read about why they do it and how.

Upvote 0
You can turn all the google collecting off. Its optional.

If google were doing something malicous, the open source community would have been in outrage already.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones