• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Watch

buttercup24

Feb 24, 2015
So I've decided to buy the Apple Watch Sports Edition and my only disappointment is that its sapphire glass did not protect my watch from cuts and scratches. Not sure if it was a factory defect or I've received a bad batch definitely will be returning this one and most likely will be getting a screen protector for this. Anyone have purchased Apple Watch here?

If you were hoping to use an Apple iWatch with an Android device, you might be disappointed. Probably very few member of Android Forums are likely to be purchasing one I think. Much more likely to be buying Android Wear watches. About the "sapphire glass", are you certain the particular iWatch you bought had it? As I understand it, it's only the very expensive iWatches have it, the rest are regular glass, same as you find on phones, AFAIK.

Upvote 0
Hard to say, interesting question.

There were years of speculation about Apple getting into the TV business, and they finally did with the Apple TV, not calling it the iTV.

The existing product was a digital TV tuner / DVR for Macs that had been out a long time - the EyeTV - not named to cash in as an iDevice afair.

Afaik, Apple never approached Elgato for the EyeTV name - I believe that was to keep the Apple TV under wraps. As if that stopped a lick of speculation.

I could be all wet on that, it was a long time back ok.

Maybe for $10k+, they didn't want to call it an iDevice?

Upvote 0
I rather suspect that it was because there was already an iTV in the UK...

(with it being the largest commercial terrestrial tv network here... there's no way they would have been able to survive 5 minutes without being slapped around with major lawsuits... and iTV wouldn't sell their name to Apple any more than NBC, Fox or CNN would)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I rather suspect that it was because there was already an iTV in the UK...

(with it being the largest commercial terrestrial tv network here... there's no way they would have been able to survive 5 minutes without being slapped around with major lawsuits... and iTV wouldn't sell their name to Apple any more than NBC, Fox or CNN would)
I forgot about that - bizarre because I've watched a lot of it :D

https://itvstudios.com/studios/usa

As I said - that was all long ago. :p :D

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
If you were hoping to use an Apple iWatch with an Android device, you might be disappointed.
If the inadequate scratch protection was the OP's only disappointment I think we can take it for granted that they have an iPhone too ;).

Actual synthetic sapphire is very good for scratch resistance: my watch doesn't have the slightest mark on the lens, despite my wearing it every day for a decade (whereas I succeeded in putting a fair few scratches and gouges in its predecessor's "scratchproof glass").

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Came across this pic earlier from another forum. Apparently it was from Macrumors originally, someone was protesting that her Apple Watch was too small.

900x900px-LL-e43f0387_attachment.jpeg

Sure Apple intended it to fit human wrists, NOT swine.
pigs_feet_1024x1024.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
apple watch sport.. partner got the expensive one but hey sapphire is scratch resistant but not scratch proof, i guess
If you're talking about the watch you mentioned in the first post - the Watch Sport - that's not a sapphire.

https://www.apple.com/watch/craftsmanship/

Or are you saying that your partner's Apple Watch sapphire scratched too? o_O :eek:

Watch Sport - basically Gorilla glass
Apple Watch - sapphire

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Analyst: Apple Watch selling worse than thought

“Anecdotal evidence suggests Apple Watch demand is slowing quickly,” according to Hargreaves’ note. “This dovetails with recent supply checks, which suggested a reduction in component order volume.”​

Personally, I think the name iWatch would've sold a lot better. The dedicated followers were confused by that inconsistent name diversion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones