Apple's next iPhone

1. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

However, they have the finger print scanning. Now that is something really cool, and can lead to much better security. I really wish Android had that. Its sad to see that Apple got to it first, but that's the good in competition. Hopefully Android, Windows or Blackberry (LOLOLOL) can do something better.
    Okay Samsung, I'm counting on you.
  3. ceva321

ceva321 Well-Known Member

Subtle differences. A round home button. But basically the same phone :(
  4. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Didn't Motorola have the fingerprint scanning gimmick on one of their Android phones a long time ago?
  5. badutahboy

badutahboy Well-Known Member

Yes they did. And it has been tried and abandoned on PC's on numerous occasions. It's not a very useful idea.
  6. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

I admit it is cool IF it works and IF it is secure. Fingerprint scanners have been around with PDAs, phones, laptops, building access, etc. for over a decade. Don't see how it is significantly better than face recognition and that got old.

BTW, even the HP iPAQ 5450 Pocket PC had it in 2002
    HP iPAQ 5450 Pocket PC, PDA Reviews by Mobile Tech Review
  7. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

But anything Apple does people jump to it, so this changes everything.
    Mehta23 likes this.
  8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Sad, but true It's probably one of the biggest reason NFC hasn't taken off yet.
    Mehta23 likes this.
  9. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

"Aww, it's just like last year's phone!"

"OMG we just got Samsunged!"

NFC would probably be a hit if there were places that actually used them. for file transfers Bluetooth still reigns supreme there. why tap devices when you can beam a file across the room?
  10. jefboyardee

I think, by touting leftovers as ground-breaking thresholds, Apple is displaying their Jobless, bleak future.
    Mehta23 likes this.
  11. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

accent on the 'Jobless'
  12. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

It's funny. Head over to the apple sites like MacRumors etc. Even they are not all gung-ho and high-fiving each other over today's "announcement". There is even some anger in those comments. And interestingly, there is not a lot of firing back at those mad about today's announcement by the loyalist
  13. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid. Guide

On the iPhone 5S page the phone is described as "Forward Thinking" and having "the most advanced technology."

But as Gmash mentioned - the most talked about new feature, fingerprint scanning, has been around for years.

Perhaps they are finally realizing that iPhones have always been a little over hyped :)
  14. jefboyardee

Oops, I should have spelt it
  15. bjacks12

bjacks12 Well-Known Member

I've largely ignored NFC, but after reading a thread in the Nexus 4 subforum, I have ordered some smart tags on Amazon. Can't wait to play with them when they arrive.

The new iPhone looks like the same thing they've been pumping out for years.

The 64 bit processor is a gimmick. With less than 4 GB of RAM and the time it will take for developers to catch on, there is no added benefit. Sure it will be faster, due to a better architecture, but it's not because it's a 64 bit processor.
  16. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Nothing much for me here. Just more colours and still priced like a Gucci handbag.
  17. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Teehee. :)
    [​IMG]
  18. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

That's the problem with biometric security features...
    [​IMG]
    ...it could cost you your finger, eye, etc.
    ronii likes this.
  19. general eclect

general eclect Well-Known Member

20. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

James Bond Motorola ATRIX is the first smartphone to operate using fingerprint recognition | Mail Online

The Motorola ATRIX is the first smartphone
    to operate using fingerprint recognition to
    ensure it can only be accessed by the
    genuine owner.
    The ATRIX owner swipes their finger on the
    touchscreen a number of times when it is
    fresh out of the box to identify them as the
    authorised user.
    From that point on, every time they touch the
    power button it will recognise the fingerprint
    and approve operation.
    Codegerm likes this.
  21. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Gmash likes this.
  22. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

[​IMG]
    "MADE IN CHINA" ... just like the real thing.

iphone.jpg
  23. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

:DSalt shaker

If it doesn't keep the *electronic snoops out, so what good is it?

*That includes malware, push ads, whatever else.
  24. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

The malls around here have NFC spots on the ad kiosks, which are animated. You can tap to view videos, offers, coupons, etc. I've used it a few times.
  25. Codegerm

Codegerm Well-Known Member

That would be more of a reason for me not to use NFC, but then I wasn't a fan of credit cards having an RF ID chip either. Working in the security industry, I knew how easy it would be to read them..

The fingerprint reader is not a new thing for sure. I played with it on my PC for a bit, and that was several years ago.