• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple's next iPhone

That would be more of a reason for me not to use NFC, but then I wasn't a fan of credit cards having an RF ID chip either. Working in the security industry, I knew how easy it would be to read them..

The fingerprint reader is not a new thing for sure. I played with it on my PC for a bit, and that was several years ago.

But its new for it to be implemented into a cell phone successfully. Its not new, but its different for the phone market.

Upvote 0
However, they have the finger print scanning. Now that is something really cool, and can lead to much better security. I really wish Android had that. Its sad to see that Apple got to it first, but that's the good in competition. Hopefully Android, Windows or Blackberry (LOLOLOL) can do something better.
Okay Samsung, I'm counting on you.

Android already did the finger scan and whatever Apple is putting out some where along the line Android has had it or done it already.

Upvote 0
NFC would probably be a hit if there were places that actually used them.
Actually, there are Mastercard PayPass locations that use NFC all over the place (saw an article that said there are more than 700K merchants world wide). I see them at drugstores, gas stations, fast food, Macy's, Petco, etc. all the time.

Personally, I always just forget I can use Google Wallet. ;)

Upvote 0
Apple’s strongest horse in this race is the puny letter ‘i.’ They have an iphone, we just have a this phone or a that phone. They have an ipad, we just have a this or a that pad. So the hypnotized believe that nothing has any value if it doesn’t start with a lowercase letter. If Google wanted to get their marketing in gear, they could exploit their own letter: gpad, gphone, gmail, gdrive, gmaps, gtower, and so on.

Apple’s marketing consistency is all they have right now – knock it down and they’re done.

Upvote 0
Apple’s strongest horse in this race is the puny letter ‘i.’ They have an iphone, we just have a this phone or a that phone. They have an ipad, we just have a this or a that pad. So the hypnotized believe that nothing has any value if it doesn’t start with a lowercase letter.

We have the cute green robot logo as well as the word "Android". And they're heavily used in advertising and promotion materials for Android phones and tablets. Don't know about elsewhere but that's certainly what happens here.
Android_fake_store_China-1.jpg

Where I am, the "i" in iPhone doesn't mean anything. it's the Apple logo that's important. And they also know "p

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Apple’s strongest horse in this race is the puny letter ‘i.’ They have an iphone, we just have a this phone or a that phone. They have an ipad, we just have a this or a that pad. So the hypnotized believe that nothing has any value if it doesn’t start with a lowercase letter. If Google wanted to get their marketing in gear, they could exploit their own letter: gpad, gphone, gmail, gdrive, gmaps, gtower, and so on.

Apple’s marketing consistency is all they have right now – knock it down and they’re done.
Apple's doing what Coke, Kleenex and Band-Aid have been doing for years - proliferate a product name to the point where it becomes a part of the American lexicon and any duplicates would be called by that name (instead of it's generic equivalent - cola, tissue, bandage). But why "i"? Doesn't Apple begin with an "a"? Guess they thought about it and didn't want people referring to their product as an a$$-phone!

Good points, though. Personally, I want to hurl every time I hear any cell phone referred to as an "iPhone".

Upvote 0
But why "i"? Doesn't Apple begin with an "a"?

"iMac comes from the marriage of the excitement of the Internet with the simplicity of Macintosh. Even though this is a full-blooded Macintosh, we are targeting this for the #1 use that consumers tell us they want a computer for, which is to get on the Internet -- simply, and fast. And that is what this product is targeted for.

"i" also means some other things to us. We are a personal computer company, and although this product is born to network, it also is a beautiful stand-alone product. We are targeting it also for education. They want to buy these. And it is perfect for most of the things they do in instruction. It is perfect for finding tremendous sources of information over the Internet. And we hope as you see the product it will inspire us all to make even better products in the future."

(Steve Jobs, 7th May 1998, introducing the original iMac computer)

Upvote 0
Good points, though. Personally, I want to hurl every time I hear any cell phone referred to as an "iPhone".

I have never herd anyone I know or around me refer to any phone as an "iPhone". Most will refer to them by their make (Samsung, HTC etc). Some will just call it an android phone or the generic term smartphone. Out of all my friends and family, only two of them actually have an iPhone.

I have had people mistake my GS2 for a GS3, and one ask if my phone was the GS4.

Upvote 0
A few years back a lot of folks asked what iPhone I had - to them, at the time, that was generic for smartphone.

Never bothered me, I just said Samsung or HTC and showed them the features.

Pretty clear in my mind they were reaching out for information.

Back in the day, my wife asked the same exact thing to one of girlfriends carrying the G1. That's how she handled it with WifelyMon and how WifelyMon decided she wanted an Android.

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
Hey Mikedt, That Angry Birds phone (is it an aPhone?) is AWESOME! Be careful, though. Apple might see this and sue the manufacturer for copyright infringement!

If you can't innovate - litigate!

It's actually a toy. Like that "Disney" one @general eclect posted earlier. Makes sounds, plays tunes and things when you press the icons...just like the real thing.
Toy Iphone Toys For Kids,Toy Packaging,Smart Phone Toy - Buy Toy Iphone Toys For Kids,Toy Packaging,Smart Phone Toy Product on Alibaba.com

Apple could try filing suit against Shantou General Toy Co. Ltd. But it's rather like playing wac-a-mole, one can never win, there's always hundreds more. :rolleyes: Of course it's double copyright infringement here, Rovio's IP is being infringed as well. I often see "Anger Birds" as well with toys and things, but of course they always use the Angry Birds characters and artwork. Apple Inc. vs China Inc. ...good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones