Apple's reasons for not putting Flash in their products.

Last Updated:

1. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thoughts on Flash

Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Plus, parts of it makes me want to say, "Pot, meet kettle."

Advertisement
  2. psychotron

psychotron Banned

Old news and thats only for the iPhone/iPad. My iMac and Macbook run flash just fine.

3. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Not if your going to run intensive flash that requires a decent amount of GPU acceleration =P:

4. rwZephyr

rwZephyr Well-Known Member

Flash is a resource hog, I do think that HTML5 is the way of the future for streaming video, and I don't mind not seeing all those crappy flash ads, crappy flash splash pages... Flash is over used, but it can be handy for some things, but for the most part I don't miss it.

5. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Flash is a 3rd party development platform. If you create an application or game in Flash, it can be used on any Flash-enabled device.

This sidesteps Apple's approval process and, more importantly, their cut at the app store. Apple doesn't want anyone making apps platform agnostic because then what would be the advantage of buying Apple? Likewise they make a fortune on all of those app sales. Apple is all about providing a slick and simple user experience and charging for entry.

Flash is useful for much more than video players and ads. So many free games and apps would be instantly available on any platform as long as it had Flash enabled. This would be a great boon for newer OSes like WebOS or others. Instant app catalog.

6. IOWA

Right now, as is, flash is still more efficient for video playback than html5. How about that eh? And yes html5 will get better, but so will flash.

7. rwZephyr

Don't get me wrong, I love flash when used properly. Action-script is also ****** easy to use and it makes animation a breeze. But having everything built right into HTML and being used by the browser natively instead of a piece of third party software seems like a good way to go.

8. IOWA

Only if EVERY SINGLE browser/os/whatever here agree on the SAME codecs for multimedia playback.

I'm learning AS 3.0. Quite a bit different than 2.0

9. rwZephyr

I Haven't learned 3.0, after the Art Institute of Burnaby told me how much tuition was, I gave up on the whole webdesign and animation course, but flash was fun to use.

10. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

how epic would it be if java dropped support for apple right now because of those statements >.>;

Then again.. I am willing to bet apple would shut up pretty fast if they lost adobe support for photoshop ect.

And fwiw.. I laugh so hard everytime i look at the mac pro these days, its not funny.

11. IOWA

If adobe pulled it's product line-up from mac, mac would be in for a hurtin. Since "designers" seem to think mac is better for some ungodful absolutely wrong reason.

12. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Download the 10.1 RC, it is MUCH better for resources.