Application Force Close After Updating... and fix

Last Updated:

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Guest This Topic's Starter

I have noticed several times that after updating an application in the Market, the app will never work again. This has happened with Pandora, Key Ring Finder, Audio Manager and countless other apps. With some other apps, after updating the application, it will work fine, but the name will change to something odd like com.chompsms.blabla ...

Well, i was reading through Key Ring Finder update and realized that something is occuring specifically with the HTC Hero that is causing this with application updates!

But there is a ::drum roll please:: workaround! When updating an app, do not select the 'update' option! This is where the programs become corrupt. Instead, click 'uninstall', then reinstall the application. The freshly installed copy will work perfectly!

I think this is the number one reason why Pandora works for some, and doesn't work for others!!!

Advertisement
  2. puffx0r

puffx0r Active Member

I haven't had any problems with clicking "Update" on the apps I have installed. But I also don't use any of the apps you referred to in your post. I believe I've updated Handcent about 3-4 times without any issues.

3. seabreeze

There are a few apps I have updated that I haven't had an issue with, but there are a growing number that I am noticing this with. I believe a lot of other people are running into this as well, but I think a lot are just chalking it up to that programs new version being corrupt after an update, not that it is a broader problem.

The application developers are beginning to announce this in there apps. Key Ring Reward Cards now says "HTC HERO users.backup data, uninstall/reinstall - otherwise force close"

Also, widgets are having an issue with power cycles and refreshes. When attempting to use Feedr's widget, it states:

"NOTE: This revision of HTC HERO may be affected by a known BUG that prevents configurable widgets from updating after a power cycle or after changing scenes. Please contact HTC about this issue as nothing can be done in the application to correct the problem."

4. dsavage

dsavage Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell from my experience, the problem seems to be with SOME applications that you have shortcuts or widgets installed on your active Scene.

If I update an application that I have a widget (or even if I just have a shortcut, AK Notepad never updated properly until I removed its shortcut) on one of my home pages (like Pandora), the update will fail. Uninstalling/reinstalling fixes everything back up.

If you don't want to uninstall/reinstall, you might try creating a "clean slate" scene, (or one with just a MarketPlace shortcut on it), then switch to that scene when you want to do your updates. Then switch back to your normal scene when you're finished.

5. seabreeze

Thanks for that!! That may be a little less time consuming, I will try that. Uninstalling and reinstalling makes the widgets/links disappear, so I will try switching scenes next time to see if that will do it without the issue with force closes.