Application Overload???

Last Updated:

1. MyHTCevo

MyHTCevo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will installing 215 apps on my Evo overload it? I know each app is a different size but should I expect a large amount of applications to slow it down? (I'll only be running about 10 at one time)

How many apps do you have installed?

What would you say is the average for users?

Advertisement
  2. henbone11

henbone11 Member

you need all of these apps to work at the same time? seems unrealistic that your job would require 215 phone apps running at the same time.

3. MyHTCevo

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant installing a total of 215 apps onto my Evo. I'll only be running about 10 at a time.

What is everyone's install count at?
    Average?

4. henbone11

henbone11 Member

ive seen everywhere from 30 - 80. I, myself, have about 65 queued up. I am pretty sure they wont all stay on there though. I am new to android, so I will want to play for a bit. I guess its up to your preferences.

5. MyHTCevo

Okay cool. Yea I'm new to android too...just seeing if 215 was way too many to put on the phone. Like I said I won't be using them all at once of course.

6. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Oh, god. Why would you need that many apps? :(

7. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

How did you come to the number 215?

8. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Well-Known Member

its being reported that it has 1GB of ROM, but after the OS and other stuff, there's only 380mb of available ROM. so i don't even think you can FIT 215 apps on your phone.

9. chazglenn3

chazglenn3 Active Member

Doesn't the OS and other stuff live in the 512MB of RAM?

10. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

You can install that many apps with no performance problems. However, if you try to run a bunch of apps at the same time, the Evo will start killing apps to reclaim memory at around 35 running apps. At least that's how it is in my experience. When it starts to kill apps, then you'll get some lag.

11. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

No. You're thinking of ROM. Also, the amount of ROM on the Evo is plenty to fit 215 apps.

12. erikivy

erikivy Well-Known Member

I'm betting he created an account at Appbrain and queued up anything that looks interesting to him. The quantity just happens to be 215. :) I've done the same thing, but my list is only half as long as his. :)

13. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

As long as you don't have a lot of them running at the same time, you should be fine.

14. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

well depending on the size of the apps is if they will fit or not i have alot that are sub 1m so

15. MyHTCevo

Yea Appbrain for me. I'm gonna try to cut it down just to be safe.

16. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

If you install more than 50 apps its going to slow your phone down drastically.

17. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

I personally have like 250 apps saved to try out, but a lot of them are similar apps, I just want to try most of them out to see which is the better alternative.

So would it be better to have no more than 50 or so apps installed? At what point does slowdown or any other problem become noticeable?

18. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

At no point in time does more apps installed = more slowdown. Unless you're going down your app list and opening each one up. Normally you'll open around 35 apps before it slows down, only if none of those apps quit themselves.

19. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

ok but you are using a phone that doesn't have the space or processor as the EVO. Soooo how can you make this claim. This is a new phone and it should be able to handle allot more. My wife had a Samsung moment and to be honest my hero with a smaller processor runs faster. (She changed to the hero while wanting for the EVO).

20. marriedman624

marriedman624 Well-Known Member

On Appbrain, you can create another list. When you save apps to that list they are not installed to your EVO. Then you can move the apps you want currently installed to the Apps on my phone list.

Right now, I have around 40 apps in my created list and only about 15-20 of them in the Apps on my phone list. Still creating my list though.

But this way you can manage which apps will be installed.

I used this for things like sports scores. I can install one, try it out and if I don't like it in can try another one. It is just a better way of organizing the apps for me.