• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help application screen help for first time android user

Hi guys,

I have been lurking on here for the past few days since getting my xperia x10, having switched from an iPhone.

Have to say that first impressions are excellent.

However, there are one or two things i am unsure about.

On the applications screen, (the one which you drag up from the bottom of the home screen), is there any way to create folders there and re-organise the position of apps?

I know that you can create folders on the home screens, but this isn't what I want to do.

I would love to be able to create a folder that I can dump all of the programs I will never use but which Sony will not allow me to delete, (you know the ones - moxier etc!!)

Any help you can provide would be excellent.....

Cheers

Not do'able I'm afraid. But you dont need to go in there if you put the apps and widgets you do want on the desktop :)

Not doable???? Thats rediculous. I do like this phone, but there are one or two things that are so so stupid.

So, to clarify, you CANNOT edit the applications screen AND you cannot remove preinstalled programs you will not use?

Almost smacks of iPhone nonsense.

Thank you for the reply though.

Can I add further home screens depending on the amount of apps i will have?

Upvote 0
This isn't an answer to your question but a bit of a work around.... have you got the app gesture search? Cos you can use that to access any of the apps just by drawing in the first letter... eg A will bring up Astro , AdvanceTask Killer , Alarm in amongst the list. You can set it up just for apps, contacts, bookmarks or include music tracks etc. Obviously the more things you use it for the more you may have to scroll a bit but you can draw in more letters. Ie Ad will bring me up Adam(contact) then AdvancedTask Killer.

I dont really use the app drawer at the bottom of the screen to access stuff much, but then that may just be me being a weirdo and liking a gadget to do it for me!

Upvote 0
It is recommended for you to install the Home replacement App, e.g. ADW Launcher. It gives you the option to have up to 7 screens, thus you will use the app drawer less. If you really want to remove the pre-installed apps, e.g. moxier, the only option is to root your phone. I am really enjoying mine even more after rooting it. It works much faster. :). Almost can't believe it is the same phone. Have fun with your xperia.

Upvote 0
I dont get why people would want to edit the "app draw"? it's all laid out in alphabetical order and you have the home screen to place your most used apps and of course there are widgets too. It's not like the iphone where every widget is on the desktop and you have to make a folder up to dump the apps into that you dont want to use. Not digging at you but there are quite a few threads asking the same thing?

As said above you can get ADWLauncher from the market place along with other launchers (read desktop/home page) which allow you to have up to 9 pages to you home screen (adw has a max of 7)

Again as above if you really want to remove moxier and other crap then you have to gain root access to the phone to remove them. I wont link to any rooting guides as if you cant find them yourself then you should not root :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones