• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Applications not installing successfully?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanamkan

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
For the past few days, I've been having trouble with the Market: Installing certain apps will result in "Installation Unsuccessful". This also happens when updating them when they worked perfectly fine. The only thing I can think of that's changed for me is updating to 3.1. The ones I've had trouble with are: Cestos 2, Point Inside, and Manga Browser. Anyone having similar issues?

I don't think it has anything to do with the Virtuous 3.1 Rom. It was a temporary thing for me, and it happened using stock Android 2.1. I don't think I did anything to correct it......whatever the problem was, it just went away after a couple of days.

But I have read that others have had this recur. This seems to be the consensus fix (have not done this, myself):

1. go to settings,

2. select "manage applications" ,

scroll down to,

3. "Checkin Service" then select "clear data"
4. ."Download Manager" then select "clear data"
5. ."Google Apps" then "clear data"
6. "Google Talk Service" then select "clear data"
7. "Market" then select "clear cache"

Got this from a Google support forum. I would link it, but I can't post links.

You can reach the link (and the post) by Googling "I have a Garminfone (1.6) and Darrell's suggestion worked perfectly!"

Hope it works for you.

demlv

Upvote 0
The info. found at htcevolee's link looks very promising, but I have not had this issue for a couple of months now.

I would be interested in seeing if others can confirm that renaming the file android_secure/smdl2tmpl.asec on the SD card is a true 100% solution to the "installation unsuccessful" issue.

demlv

Upvote 0
The Long Dark Tech-Time of the Soul: Random Android apps fail to install on Froyo (2.2) phones - problem solved

Click and hopefully you shall find your answer. =)

The folder path may be slightly different but its pretty much the same area shown in the blog.

Used Root Explorer to find the file and renamed it into a backup file. Sure enough, installing all of those aforementioned apps went perfectly, although they do take a little long. Much thanks to you htcevolee.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones