Applications on the SD card?

Last Updated:

1. alanthing

alanthing Active Member This Topic's Starter

From what I've been reading, it looks like in order to have applications on your SD card, you have to partition your sdcard to have an ext2/3/4 partition, which android also can refer to as the sd-ext partition (clockwork).

I've tried using the Partition SD card option in ROM Manager several times, but it does not work. Clockwork loads and 4 lines go by, the last one saying "partitioning SD card" but then it reboots and all of my files are still there and I cannot move any Applications to the SD card.

I found on XDA that G1 owners have the 'parted' CLI app on their recovery partition but I could not find it in /sbin, /system/bin, or /system/xbin. I started to load up GParted on a flash drive but it wouldn't boot and I'm going to bed.

What's the best way to prepare my card since ROM Manager will not work? I'm running Virtuous (Stock 2.2 + minor mods), S-OFF, 2.15.

Advertisement
  2. jdposhkus

jdposhkus Active Member

I am wondering this too. I haven't tried to do this using Rom Manager. Afraid to louse it up.

3. alanthing

Has anyone done Apps2SD on their DInc?

4. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

I've got apps2sd on my Inc. Didn't have to do anything special. I don't really see the point, though. 748MB is more than enough room for apps.

5. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

This. I don't really see the point with the incredibles ample 748MB.

You do need to make sure the apps you are trying to install to the sdcard have been updated by the developer to support apps2sd.

6. alanthing

How did you get the sd card prepared? Using Virtuous, the option to move an app to the sd card is grayed out.

I want to use apps2sd so I don't have to reinstall 40+ applications when I try out a new ROM. If the ROM supports apps2sd, I shouldn't have to reinstall apps, right?

7. GrandMasterB

I have never personally used apps2sd but I am pretty sure you are going to have to reinstall them after flashing a new ROM anyways to get them back in your apps list and showing in the market as installed. I could be wrong but thats my guess. And of course if anybody else has any insight please chime in. :)

Aslo you need to partition the sdcard for apps2sd. Rom Manager can do this for you.

Get Titanuim Backup, its perfect for what you want to do.

[table][tr][td][​IMG][/td][td]Titanium Backup ★ root
    by Jo

alanthing likes this.
  8. alanthing

Ah, makes sense about them not showing up in Market. I guess I can just rely on AppBrain for keeping my apps and in sync. I use Titanium for restoring data for my apps, but was hoping apps2sd would just be a portable way to keep your apps while trying to ROMs. Oh well, maybe I'll revisit if I somehow run out of space internally.

By the way, does restoring an App with Titanium "register" it with Market, or should I continue what I'm doing where I install the app with App Brain or Market and then do a data-only restore w/ Titanium?

9. alanthing

Oh, and this thread started because I tried using the Partition SD Card option in ROM Manager several times with several different values and it never touched the SD card even though it booted into recovery and started the process (with no error messages of course). I didn't try another SD card but all of my others are just 2 GB.

10. GrandMasterB

If you use the donate version and run a batch operation to restore apps+data it does register them as installed within the market. Not sure about using strictly the free version.

I just noticed that. My apologies for the redundancy.

alanthing likes this.
  11. The_Law2

The_Law2 Well-Known Member

GrandMasterB likes this.
  12. alanthing

Nice! I didn't know that. That would make things so much easier when trying new ROMs. Guess I should read the pop ups a little closer ;)

13. crazyg0od33

crazyg0od33 Well-Known Member

I just use SD Watch. It's great! Small file in the background (icon doesnt even show up in tray) that notifies you in the bar whenever an app you DL can be moved to the SD card.
    [​IMG]

GrandMasterB likes this.