Applications starting up without my input/draining batterySupport

Last Updated:

1. pittguy578

pittguy578 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am not sure what is going on here. I posted about my battery going down quickly. I think I found out why. Applications are STARTING without my input.
    I did Advance Task Killer-killed all Apps-I pick the phone up 5 minutes later and nearly all of my applications are running. I did NOT start them-some of them are like BBC News, Fox News ETC. I do not want them to be running like that.
    Not sure why they are starting up. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

Before you blame these apps for draining your battery, can you post the amount of CPU they are using? Merely sitting in memory doesn't consume battery at all.

3. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

If you have widgets on any screen for these functions that may be why they are starting up.

also look at your sync settings since news may be set on.

4. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

They're starting up because you killed them. Stop doing that and they won't restart, killing the battery.

They almost certainly aren't using much cpu/battery while in the background.

If one of the apps IS killing the battery, use system panel to figure out which one, and fix the leak (change settings, use a different program, kill just that app [as long as it doesn't respawn])

howarmat likes this.
  5. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

delete the task killer, its causing more harm than good.

like mention the apps arent actually doing anything at all even though YOU think they are

6. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Its the wicked cool screen and the 1ghz processor thats killing your battery.

7. pittguy578

pittguy578 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sounds like a crazy question but do "certain" themes automatically enable applications to start? That is the only thing I changed recently. I will go back to that.

It was not just 1-2 applications running. I would have 10-12 applications running at any one time and I had just shut them down with task killer-it was very weird to say the least.
    I unsynced everything so that won't be downloading in the background.

I may go get the 2150 battery later. They are holding it for me at the Verizon store.

8. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

That's not weird at all, that's normal for android 2.2. Again, unless the applications are actually using CPU (which you've not indicated that they are), they are not depleting your battery, and killing them is the wrong thing to do.

9. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

task killers are now making people buy ext batteries since they dont work right...wow

10. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Run an app like Watchdog for a couple of hours and see what (if any) apps are chewing up cpu time.