Apply Facebook Photos to Droid Contacts?

Last Updated:

1. RJNavarrete

RJNavarrete Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone found a way to take someone's facebook photo and add it to the Droid contact list? When I open my contacts, most of them have photos, which have been pulled from FaceBook, but 3rd party apps, such as Handcent SMS, only pull the images I have set for my contacts...

Has anyone found a workaround to this issue?

Advertisement
  2. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I did but it is not an easy one. I only have about 20 contacts so it wasn't too difficult for me. I created a folder called "facebook" and copied all of the pictures that I wanted from facebook into that folder. Then I copied all those photos into the Picture folder on my sd card. Then I went into contacts and put the appropriated picture with each person.

I guess I could have cut out a step by just copying the pictures straight to the picture folder but I wanted to make sure I had them all first and it was easier to view on the computer.

3. RJNavarrete

DAMN. You must have some time on your hands... :eek:

4. Backnblack

Backnblack Well-Known Member

Mine sync right from facebook....if a friend changes his it changes on my phone.

5. RJNavarrete

I know that... But third party apps don't pull those photos. That's the problem. Hadncent is so much better than the standard SMS app, but the lack of photos is very annoying.

6. fortworthbret

fortworthbret Well-Known Member

Handcent has stated they are working on this issue though. best of both worlds when it happens.

7. jorgniz

jorgniz Member

When in the contact edit mode, scroll down to the Facebook imported data. Touch and hold the Facebook photo until a dialogue box pops up that will allow you to set it as the default photo for that contact.

only1penny likes this.
  8. dakoop

dakoop Well-Known Member

Didn't work.

9. RJNavarrete

I've tried every logical option. ;)

Seems as if it's a Handcent problem, and to hear that they're working on it is just great. I'll be waiting [impatiently] for the update. :D

10. Barbara

In the meantime, if you've got time on your hands....... (I've got very nice pictures for all my contacts!) :)

11. RoboTRNO89

RoboTRNO89 Active Member

i installed the facebook app and synced my contacts with it. all the pictures are automaticly synced.

o at least sync your exsisting contacts with facebook.
    IF your friends didnt put their numbers in their facebook profiles,,, then you wont have your contact pics synced...

12. Barbara

Yes and no. They sync and show up if the contact calls you but not in messenger. If you actually open the contact to look at all the info, there is no picture. (I know what I mean but I know I didn't explain that well.)

13. johnnybirdman

johnnybirdman Well-Known Member

There is an app called synmypix. I used it to sync facebook pix to my gmail contacts, then they show in handcent. You didn't specify what you wanted to sync to but if it is gmail this might work for you.
    HTH.
    J.

pammysue likes this.
  14. Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member

Dude all i did was enter there full name as listed in facebook, first and last and they automatically showed up.

15. RJNavarrete

Hmm... that might work.

EDIT: LOL I'm a goof.

16. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

You don't have to do all that. You can view the photo you want to use in the facebook app and pick the "set as..." option. Crop it to your liking then done. Sometimes, at least for me, the option won't show up until after I've switch from portrait to landscape and vice versa.

17. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Yes, I definitely agree. Handcent is a lot better, if not just for the fact that it will split sms over 160 characters to other carriers. Built in app will just cut it off and send you a text saying it cut it off.
    I didn't even realize that Handcent isn't pulling the Facebook pics off the contacts. I guess because most of my contacts I went in got my own pic of my liking for their contact pic. But I have a few that aren't and yes, they don't show up. Also I don't like the handcent default pic. Wish that also pulled the default droid pic.

18. baddriver

baddriver Well-Known Member

same issue here with handcent. I ended up going into my google contact list on gmail and adding/changing the pictures of people i text/call the most (top 20) with better thumbnails from facebook. The benefit of doing this in gmail contacts is it now works in every program that pulls from google contact pictures, not just on the droid.

19. RJNavarrete

Yup, ended up doing this as I didn't have the patience to wait for an update. :p

20. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

when i click the person and make it go to mobile facebook, it synced their photo :) i have two that are being stubborn, but i realized neither has email on their account... maybe thats it?

21. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

I had already set pictures for most everyone in my contacts before the facebook app ever came out. When I got the app on the droid and let it sync all facebook contacts It didn't update the contacts I already had pictures for. They stayed the same. Seems like I would have to manually edit them in gmail also

22. HTCErisDroid

HTCErisDroid New Member

I just did this on my HTC Eris Droid:

Applications >> contacts >> then went to updates and events; the fourth icon on the bottom of the screen. It took a few seconds then popped up a Link Facebook Profiles button. This took care of almost all of my contacts. I had to go in and change some names and manually link the ones who didn't get properly linked.

23. Barbara

On the Motorola Droid there is no Applications> Contacts

24. Saiyan_Prince

Saiyan_Prince Well-Known Member

Handcent has pics now synced with facebook

25. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

there is, just you have to set the filter to all. but that menu isnt in contacts for us moto droids

my friend got an eris the other day, and he does what ive been trying to do.

he opens his contacts, clicks on my name and goes to edit. inside theres a field for facebook and hes able to type in my real name and it syncs. thats exactly what i want to do.

any idea?