• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Applying 23.11.23.en.US system update (xt1526 Sprint) after unlocking

nyc

Lurker
Aug 26, 2015
I have a XT1526 (Sprint Prepaid Version) that was bootloader unlocked. It is currently on system version 23.11.19.surnia_boost.Boost.en.US.sprint, build # LPI23.29-18-S.2.

Right after unlocking, TWRP recovery was installed and a nandroid was taken of the stock/unrooted system. Literally a few hours after the bootloader was unlocked, I received notification of a system update (23.11.23.en.US) which includes the stagefright patch. I attempted to restore to stock conditions (restore nandroid and reinstall the stock recovery obtained from superR's thread), but the update fails (the progress bar gets to about 1/3 way and then says failed). I have captured the update file from the /cache directory. It is attached.

So I have 2 questions:
1) Is there any way to restore this to stock and get this to apply? I guess I should have booted into TWRP (instead of flashing) to get the nandroid, then rooted, and then used an app like flashify to capture the stock recovery as well since this version of TWRP doesn't have a recovery backup option (as far as I could tell).

2) Is there any way to apply it as an update.zip from TWRP? What modifications need to be made to the installer to allow that to happen?

Thanks for any info. If only I had waited to allow it to apply before unlocking!

Attachments

• Blur_Version.23.11.19.surnia_boost.Boost.en.US.zip
    9.8 MB · Views: 1,745
Reactions: AnimiAK
I went through a lot to finally get the update to install! I restored mine to the stock 5.0.2 rom to fully remove root and it even had the unlocked bootloader screen come back.then I installed the 5.1 soak test unmodified rom by flashing only twrp 2..7-r6 which is till the blue version..then from the sd card I installed the unmodified 5.1 from super R along with the soak 5_2 partition and recovery only..do not let twrp root your phone.do a full reset before installing all the soak rom and partition and recovery..then reboot the phone and I had the stock 5.1 and after a couple of reboots the update went through with no problem.then do your root again and twrp..it was a ton of hassle but for some reason it was the only way the new update would work..i tried it with just unrooting it usining the unroot option in supersu and it the update wouldn't go through.if you only install the twrp and don't allow it to root upon reboot twrp wont be there again.just remember to flash everything for 5.1 the first time.no root or supersu..I fully backed up my unrooted system after the update. if im right I should be able to do a full unroot leaving the bootloader unlocked and flash only twrp again to restore the unrooted system.when you unroot the system will automatically write over twrp after reboot.if you have your stock system backed up you should be able to unroot and reboot..flash the older twrp only and do not select write to rom when it pops up.and restore your back up and it should go through with the update..for some reason the fix to get rid of the unlocked bootloader screen seems to effect even just unrooting to getota updates.this time I let the white screen stay there and my updates seem to work..after installing the unmodified rom you will have two ota updates.this is how I finally got it all to work for me..i tried everything I could find on here and xda first and not one trick worked..unlocking the bootloader had no effect on the ota update my bootloader stayed unlocked through the entire process..its still unlocked now.if you relock it you will have a brick from what I saw on xda

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I rooted mine in about three minutes..its actually simple..one of the easiest ive done..unlocking the bootloader was somewhat of a pain having to go through the Motorola sight.I only spent an hour doing everything listed above including rerooting..I spent 4 hours trying it other ways that many said would work and it wouldn't..from what I've read this is the last update we will ever receive for these phones.. There will be no marshmallow unless someone makes a custom rom..if someone does find an easier way for this little patch or any future patches if we get any please post it!

Reactions: dogdayz
Upvote 0
First off thank you for the zip!
I have the stock firmware prior to this update that you can flash so that you have it ready for this update.
First back up anything on the phone you dont want to lose.
Flash the stock images via fastboot. then update using this zip via STOCK recovery.
Root using Chainfires zip which is at beta 51.
I can provide the firmware and detailed instructions if you guys need.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
To block all OTA updates all you need to do is edit the build.prop.
I have 1820 users on my ROM so I can confirm this works not only on my device.
You need to edit: "ro.build.product="
To: "ro.build.product=surnia_XXX (XXX=whatever text you like, or lack of text will also do the trick if your device is similar to the example)
This basically changes the device google play services checks since whatever you call it wont be in the db that google checks against you are good to go.
After the change all you need to do is wipe dalvik and cache in TWRP or CWM.
FOTAkill.apk does not work anymore..

Last edited:
Reactions: Rambo_Gandhi
Upvote 0
@SuperR Thanks for your killer contribution of Stock 5.1-2 Debloated, Deodexed, Rooted ROM. It runs like a champ. Now that Moto is pushing the update to 25.11.26 I'd be immensely grateful for your advice on how it might succeed with your ROM???

I've already tried it with the stock recovery back in place and also with having unrooted it from the SuperSU menu. Each time the update attempts to flash in recovery it's progress bar gets approximately 1/4 of the way and then errors out. It then reboots to the OS and messages that the update was unsuccessful.

@nexusbandit I saw your post about how you succeeded with 23.11.23 but I think with @SuperRs rooted ROM I wouldn't have a means to skip the root while in TWRP.

Thanks again for all the vital smarts you guys share!

Upvote 0
To block all OTA updates all you need to do is edit the build.prop.
I have 1820 users on my ROM so I can confirm this works not only on my device.
You need to edit: "ro.build.product="
To: "ro.build.product=surnia_XXX (XXX=whatever text you like, or lack of text will also do the trick if your device is similar to the example)
This basically changes the device google play services checks since whatever you call it wont be in the db that google checks against you are good to go.
After the change all you need to do is wipe dalvik and cache in TWRP or CWM.
FOTAkill.apk does not work anymore..

@AnimiAK Can you confirm that doing that doesn't diminish PRL or profile updates in any way? By chance might it also throw a wrench in what apps google play allows as "compatible" for install with ones device when browsing the store?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones