Approximate number of Android users!

Last Updated:

1. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I normally frequent the Nexus One forum, but have had to crawl my way out from there to come ask the wider Android community a question.

I'm about to apply for a mobile application development role and was wondering if any of you guys knew an approximate number of Android users (or point me in the direction of somewhere that might have the info). I was about to write something along the lines of the Android market allowing developers to easily (hum, that's an opinion there! :D) share their creations with <insert amount here> Android users around the world, but realised I had no idea.

Any help given would be much appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. seeking

seeking Well-Known Member

over 9000 thats for sure, but i think the android dev market might be the best place to look. I know there is at least a graph that shows the percentage of which useres are on what os version...it might give actual physical numbers as well though

3. oniongirl

4. NeuroNY

NeuroNY Active Member

This is sketchy at best, but you can estimate with the following data:

7.7 Million Android Handsets Sold in 2009 – Android and Me
    This post shows the total number of Android handsets sold in 2009 and 2008 (so over 8 million, and you are assuming none have been discarded :)), and then you add the 60,000 per day (which is shipped, not sold units, but this is all rough anyway) so you get over 10 million? It also mentions that, for what it's worth, they estimate 68 million Android handsets sold by 2013.

Also, Admob talks about the size of the Android ad market here:
    Metrics Update: Android AdMob Metrics
    10 million phone requests in December.

5. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

I was just researching market share distribution in the US. I found iPhone Passes Windows Mobile in Smartphone OS Market Share
    It doesn't surprise me at all that winmo is going downhill but it does surprise me that android is still such a small percentage. From where I stand I have more friends and family with android then iphone now. On the other hand if you want to argue capabilities most friends and family know better then to argue with android.

6. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

I guess that differs from place to place. I know two people who have Android phones, and I can't even put a number to how many I know with iphones, but it's a lot.

7. oniongirl

Thanks for your replies guys. Now I just need to wait til the 30th March for the closing date for the application to hear something.

Fun. Times. :rolleyes: