Apps and observations on the Hero..help?

Last Updated:

1. RDS

RDS New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

this is my first post and my first Android phone. I've been trying to learn the ropes since the phone arrived this morning.

There doesnt seem to be a way to close your apps. When I open an app, Peep, Mail, Browser etc I also "close" by just pressing the Home key. However, I get the feeling that the app is still ticking away in the background.

If this is the case, then after a week or so the phone will grind to a halt with all of the open apps.

Is this correct?

Still struggling with not being able to set the SMS alert to Silent, and no way of having a 'profile' where I can auto silence the phone, and divert incoming calls to my ansa phone. I have a Nokia that cost

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

3. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

There's no profile switching - General, Silent, etc? Seriously?! Yikes.

I know holding down the home button brings up loaded apps - and as you say, if you leave one and go to the home screen, it is still running. To stop slow-down, Android will close apps once memory or speed becomes a problem and all apps are written to handle this and load intelligently the next time they're used.

I don't know of a specific way to hand-kill a process unless it has the option in it. There's sure to be task managers on the Android Market, they will let you do it. For example:
    Cyrket - Advanced Task Manager
    Cyrket - Taskiller Full <-- I will probably use this as there is a widget version.
    Cyrket - Close Everything 2 <-- has a free version (CloseEveryThing1) to try out. This doesn't let you kill specific apps as far as I know, but it closes everything except system prcoessed. I think you can also add apps for it to ignore (i.e. not close), so if you use NetCounter or something like that, add it to the list.

I've never used it (I know all this and I don't even have an Android phone yet :)) but I gather you can photograph the 2D barcodes on those pages and that will load the app in the app market.

EDIT: As justjimjpc says, pressing the back button until you get the home screen will close apps - I'm not sure if this will close all apps, could some leave a background process running?

4. RDS

RDS New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Just noticed something else too, no Bluetooth File Transfer. Just looked an idiot trying to get the mrs to send me a song over bt.