Apps and ROMS work on all Android platforms?

Last Updated:

1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My wife has an original iPhone and is thinking about UPGRADING to a Droid -- however, another Android phone caught her eye. It's the Motorola Motoroi, about to come out on TMobile (rumors).
    http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_xt720_motoroi-3090.php

QUESTION: Will everything that's been developed (ROMS/APPS) for the Droid also work for the Motoroi since they are both Android -- or is it not that simple?

I'm thinking that every phone is unique, so every phone will need it's own rooting program and special attention. I'm also thinking that there may not be a following like the phenomenon experienced with the Droid, with soooooooo many techy folk developing so much, so fast, and where the average guy (like me), stops in my tracks, hovering over to the geek side, wanting to learn more...

The Motoroi may be incredible on it's own, and it may not need or get the following that we have with the Droid...

but I think the wife is addicted to the idea of changing things up now and then, always looking over my shoulder at what I'm modifying next, secretly wishing that her iPhone could allow her to do the same.

Advertisement
  2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

ROMs developed for the Droid most likely won't work with that phone. They will have to be ported or other ROMs developed specifically for it. Generally, any custom ROM built for one Android phone needs to be modified in order to run on other phones. It will need to be rooted as well before anything can be done. My guess is that phone will not get the hype or following that the Droid has, so ROMs probably will be slow in coming for it.

3. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

If Verizon takes on the Motoroi, I see it becoming a VERY popular phone, which means rooting, ROMS galore, etc. It is in many ways superior to the Droid, and has no lower specs than the Droid. The only thing it lacks is the physical keyboard.

4. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

vincentp -- thanks... the phone specs are pretty awesome, but without being able to predict the following and everything that comes with having a large following, it's hard to say how much modification fun she'll have with it.

droidpcguru -- thanks, and yes, it's got mind-numbing specs that make ya drool! However, rumors are that it's going to TMobile. Not sure how that will affect Nexus sales or popularity.