• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps covertly sending GPS data to advertisers

Is there a way to identify these apps?

I think that's key. It's all well and good and great fun to start a privacy panic so that we mistrust every app we ever download, but it's far more useful to tell us which ones are doing this. How about releasing the tool so we can drum up our paranoia ourselves? I realize they will eventually release it, but it seems to me that now would be better than later.

I'm being somewhat smart-assed about the panic and paranoia, but I think most people do have privacy concerns, and quite rightly so. Releasing part of the data without the full picture is like telling a group of "people one of you is a traitor" without revealing who it is. It makes for great movies and Bible stories, but isn't very responsible in real life.

The guy who was trying to use his Google phone without logging in to Google must have pulled his battery and buried the phone in his yard after hearing this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones