• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps crashing...Is this normal????

Beehemel

Nov 10, 2009
I have an ongoing problem with my Droid that apps will crash if they are not used for a period of time. I've been dealing with it so far by uninstalling and reinstalling the app. This morning Google Voice started crashing and I was unable to make a call, so I uninstalled Google Voice, made the call I needed to make, and then reinstalled Voice. While going through the setup, the app crashes and force closes when attempting to sign in. This is not the only app I have problems with. The Amazon MP3 service force closes at random times, and it seems every app I install eventually has to be reinstalled because it starts force closing after a period of time. I do all the normal troubleshooting like clearing the cache and restarting the phone, and it usually doesn't fix it. Is this normal for this phone or do I have a bad one? It's really becoming an annoyance...

that certainly is not normal and not something I've heard of anyone else happening to them. I don't even know where to start with suggestions.
A Factory Restore is something that I would try if you haven't already. then I would install just a couple apps to start with, see if you have the issue with them, if not add more and more until you have them all back or you find one that trips the trigger.

Upvote 0
I've done a factory restore twice since I've had the phone and each time, the problem still occurs. Is there any other sort of debugging I can do or should I just take it into Verizon and try to get another phone? I bought this one on day one and this has been an annoyance ever since. I figured it was just because of the os itself, but I don't see many other reports of this happening, so I'm starting to doubt that now.

Upvote 0
It doesn't seem to do it in the core apps (other than the market twice and the Amazon MP3 that started today), but it is pretty consistent. If I have an app that I haven't used for two or three weeks, the next time I start it, it will force close...I guess I'm going to talk to Verizon and see if I can get a replacement. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones