• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps gone after rebooting

Mark Boelte

Lurker
Jul 15, 2016
I have a Moto X Pure Edition with Android 6.0. I installed a Samsung Pro 128 gig SDXC U1 card and formated it as internal memory. I was expecting to store a lot of music on the card, and I like to play games that take a lot of space.
Whenever I need to reboot my phone, most of the apps I have installed on the SD card vanish. They are gone from the Home page, gone from the App drawer, all files gone from the SD card. If I reinstall the app, all the user information is preserved, although I could not find any files on the SD card. A salesperson at the AT&T store thought that the SD card is taking too long to mount, and the launcher is skipping it. We tried to install Nova Launcher, but it behaved the same.
I specifically bought this phone because I could expand with the SD card. How do I fix this?

Had a similar problem with my XPE a few months ago although my SD card is set up as portable storage. I would download and set up the Kindle app and all would be fine till I rebooted then it would disappear .
Another member here suggested booting into recovery and wipe the cache partition.
Worked like a charm. No more disappearing apps on restart.

Upvote 0
Had a similar problem with my XPE a few months ago although my SD card is set up as portable storage. I would download and set up the Kindle app and all would be fine till I rebooted then it would disappear .
Another member here suggested booting into recovery and wipe the cache partition.
Worked like a charm. No more disappearing apps on restart.

How exactly does one boot into recovery and wipe a cache partition? Sorry if I'm too much of a noob. I have a Samsung Galaxy Express 3, btw... would a fix like that solve my "disappearing apps on SD card"?

Upvote 0
With Samsung devices to boot into recovery from off, press and hold power + volume up + home till you see small blue "Recovery Booting" in upper left of the screen then release the power and continue holding the other two till you see the recovery menu.
Use the volume down button to scroll down to Wipe Cache partition then press the power button to select it. Then reboot.

I have never moved apps to the SD card so don't know if this will help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones