• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps have no internet connection on secured wifi

Ridi

Lurker
Mar 8, 2011
Hello

After a long time of fiddling around I've managed to connect to my university's wifi network.

However the wifi only works in the web browser, and not in any applications that use an internet connection. The connection is through a proxy server and also requires you to log in with your student account.. the prompt appears for your login details when using the web browser (it seems to save them, I haven't had to input them more than once), so I'm kind of thinking that anything else is unable to connect because it doesn't know the login details and doesn't prompt for them either.

e.g. the YouTube application, any Twitter applications, the downloader application (that is opened whenever you try to download something from within the web browser) all have no connection and won't function, but the web browser is perfectly fine.

I haven't had any problems when I'm on my (non-account locked, unproxied) home network. This is on a version 2.1 Samsung Apollo.

I'm having similar issues with my Samsung Android and its been almost a month now. Most apps will not function for failure to connect with the internet, email links will not function and http files on email do not open. The browser will normally function well but lately has started having trouble connecting online.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones