Apps keep closing/crashing - help please!General

Last Updated:

1. zpants

zpants Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,
    I have read a number of the posts on this board and tried to condition my new phone for best battery life, etc. and haven't added many apps yet. However a few of them keep crashing ALL the time and it's really annoying. Particularly Google Talk and Gmail, the native apps that I didn't install. I will open them up, press one button (on an email or a name) and then it will just close back to the home screen. It will do this five or six times in a row before it lets me use the app. I have been using task panel but have both apps on the "ignore" list so I don't think that should make a difference, and come to think of it it did that before I installed task panel. The phone is literally three days old.

Help please!

Thanks a lot,
    Laura

Advertisement
  2. dawnstacie

dawnstacie Well-Known Member

I had this same problem. You have to do a factory reset. My phone works perfect now!

3. zpants

well that's a bit of a bummer (since my last ERIS died and i've already lost all my settings once).

how do I do that? and is there a way to back up my settings and things first?

4. dawnstacie

Your contacts should all be backed up in google. My contacts came right back and they were even synced with facebook. I would write down all your apps, I lost mine, but it took 5 mins to bring them all back.

Settings//security///data factory reset

5. ludist210

ludist210 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, Laura! Sorry to hear about your phone.

Be careful with the factory reset: my phone would not make or receive calls or texts when I did that. I had to sit on the phone with Verizon (using my wife's Eris) for an hour to get my settings fixed.

Menu > Settings > Security > Factory Data Reset

This may be the best way to do it (I did it differently, probably why I had problems). Back up all of your contacts (if you have a Gmail account, it should have been done for you...just check your Gmail account on a computer first). If that doesn't work, well...do you have a Verizon store nearby?

6. dawnstacie

After you do this, it asks you to call a verizon number to re-activate it. Follow those steps, too.

7. zpants

will this wipe my SD card too?

8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

No, the factor reset will only effect the phone. Your SD card will be fine.

9. zpants

ok done - so far so good! thanks everyone :)