1. HUGE Androidforums.com UPDATE! Learn what's new (and download the new app!)
    Dismiss Notice

Apps keep on restarting constantly after killing them ...

Last Updated:

1. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

You can have control over permissions, but you'll need to root to get it.
    You can also firewall apps if you are concerned about privacy, but again you'll need root to get an effective firewall.
    There are also apps which can be used to control automatic start behaviour. Guess whether those also need root? You got it! And of course there can be good reasons for apps to restart, so stopping this can have unexpected effects.

I do the first two, not the third.

As Crashdamage says, many of those apps are not actually running, just cached. The priorities for caching are influenced by your app usage. Others will be running services, e.g. to ensure you know when mail arrives or app updates are released. If you have an app that is doing nothing useful but keeps actually waking and running, disable or uninstall it and find a different app.

My top tip though is that if I'm not happy with the permissions an app has, particularly if they seem excessive for what it does, I don't install it in the first place. And if it's a system app, I disable or uninstall it (and of course I can uninstall it because my phone is rooted, and I have a good enough idea what I'm doing that I know what I can uninstall without breaking other stuff and how to fix it if I make a mistake - if you want to do these things, do your research before charging in ;)).

Advertisement
    Crashdamage, funkylogik and mikedt like this.
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Yeh, start by uninstalling that snake oil adware/spyware task killer.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. skyjoshin

skyjoshin New Member

I'm with the control freaks. Facebook is running all the time. Checking for updates. Listening for that forward that I DONT WANT at all. Why can't I just go on manually and check when I want to? I like having it there as a single button I can push, as opposed to having to open a browser, go to the website and sign in each time. I swear I remember there being an option to turn off notifications previously. But not anymore. I don't really want to uninstall things. Ultimately the user SHOULD be able to turn things off. If you miss an important message well then you'll eventual learn to monitor it more closely. Just like with everything else. Fine for some folks social media and such are the center of their world. But why can't we decide how much help we need monitoring such things?
    I'm seriously considering uninstalling Facebook and some of the others. If that's the only option. I am dis-app-pointed

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Because that's not how FB want their app to work. Their users don't matter.

If you dig into the app's settings you can limit notifications etc to some extent, but the days of allowing manual syncing are long gone. Look at alternative clients to the official FB app, or do what I'm currently doing and seriously reevaluating FB's value to me.

lunatic59 likes this.