Apps launch into memory at will...Support

Last Updated:

1. deemedic

deemedic Active Member This Topic's Starter

So maybe this is just me and not understanding the Android OS yet (I'm coming from a BB Storm 1 :mad:) but even though I use a task killer (Task Manager from the market) and kill apps often to keep the battery thing at bay (especially that FB app LOL!) I find that each time I re-run Task Manager to kill some more apps, there are apps like Amazon Mp3, Pandora, Voice Command, and more that I just killed before up and running again even though I have done nothing to launch them. I don't even use Amazon Mp3 and never have. Why would these apps just arbitrarily launch without me asking for them? Does it assume that if the shortcut to the app is on one of the home screens that it needs to launch it? If that is the case, then that makes sense and something that I didn't know about the operating system and I can obviously change that. If not, what is going on?

Advertisement
  2. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

My guilty apps are Amazon MP3 and Skype. Don't use them, never launched them, don't have them as shortcuts anywhere...yet they still are running, every day, no matter what I do to kill them. I even tried to go into them to make them NOT auto launch or update, and yet, they come back like the devil!!!! WTF!?!?!? If someone could answer this, I would love it.

3. deemedic

deemedic Active Member This Topic's Starter

It is good to know I am not alone in thinking this and yeah it would be great to get an answer!

4. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

I don't really know anything about applications randomly launching, but I do know an easy way of preventing such a thing from happening. I hope you don't mind not being able to use the application at all, though. :p

If your phone is rooted, simply change the file extension of the applications that you don't want from .apk to .bak. They aren't removed or deleted and you can just un-do the change if you ever decide that you want the application back.

Here's a list of safe/un-safe applications to re-name: http://androidforums.com/all-things...t-apps-apks-removable-non-removable-root.html

5. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

These apps are launched automatically by some service daemon, and there's no harm in them running as they're not actually using any CPU. The music players, pandora, etc... are popular and moto probably added them so they would be ready as soon as you hit their shortcut with no load delay, not that it's much of a delay anyway.

If you really want to kill them, use fast reboot which will kill all apps and service and restart the core services. However whenever you run a program that starts whatever service launches them (I'm not sure which one it is), they will pop back up.

6. john0821

john0821 Well-Known Member

The first thing I would do is open EVERY app you have and adjust the settings: how often you want it to refresh/update which will reduce the amount of apps randomly opening to sleep mode.

With that said, there's no way to stop bloatware from running. It might be annoying to look at but unless you are rooted, it's there forever. The good thing is that the bloatware isn't using any resources: doesn't harm performance or battery, so there's no reason to kill it on ATK since it's built into the system to reappear by taking advantage of the usable memory. It's basically sleeping so that it can be opened without any lag.