• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps Need So Much Data?

kstuffer

Jul 15, 2010
I've been browsing around in the app store and noticed that a lot of the apps need some personal data in order to run. It makes me feel uneasy.

For example for launcher pro, it will have access to:

my messages (read gmail, sms)
personal information (read contact data)
storage (my sd card)
services that cost you money(directly call phone numbers)

anyone else feel the same way?

Not sure about all apps, but usually there's a reason for all those permissions needed. For example, LauncherPro:

-Needs access to your messaging since it can display unread counters in its dock

-needs to read your contact data since you can set shortcuts to your contacts in your dock

-needs sd storage since it can make a backup of your homescreen arrangement to your card

-need to directly dial phone numbers since you can make shortcuts to directly dial a contact

If you don't trust an app, take a look through its comments, or just don't download it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones