1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

apps not downloading in Market (appbrain)

Last Updated:

1. thelobster

thelobster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have had this problem for a while now. Some apps just refuse to update. Appbrain being one of them. It says downloading then downloading failed. I even uninstalled it and installed from market still no go.

I have about 5 apps that just refuse to update and now i dont even have appbrain because it wont download it. Anyone have a link to the apk to appbrian 5.11? or whatever the newest one is.

When i press cancel download on the appbrain page it force closes.

Advertisement
    jayred likes this.
  2. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Are you rooted? Have you tried clearing the Market data? Are you able to get other apps to update directly from the market instead of using Appbrain?

3. thelobster

i am not rooted.

how do you clear market data?

other app works just these 5 that wont. I have tried directly i even uninstalled the current app brian put an older version of appbrain.apk on phone installed it and tried to update like that and it didnt work.

4. RyanB

RyanB Guest

From your home screen: settings/ applications/ manage applications / all, then scroll down to the Market, and once you select it, hit the option for "clear data". Doing so doesn't affect your apps so much as "start the market over"

5. thelobster

thanks i cleared data and everything works fine now!

6. boteman

boteman Well-Known Member

I tried that on my Hero just now. No joy.

For some reason I keep getting "Server error" when I start the Market app. My choices are Retry, which always fails since this started, or Cancel which dumps me out of the app so I can't even check settings. Clearing data did not help.

Other ideas?

Without Market I can't even download other apps to troubleshoot. It's a brand new phone so if I have to reload it back to factory defaults that's fine, but I'd prefer not to unless it will help.

Thanx.

7. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I'm still getting some problems, though from what I can gather (between monkeying around and googling), I'm starting to suspect the SD card, at least regarding the error message in my OP. There's a folder called ".android_secure" that apparently gets wonky and needs deleting. Not being home until Sunday, I'm not able to mount the Droid to see if it helps. YMMV either way, but are you even getting the same "Unknown -18" that I am?

8. boteman

boteman Well-Known Member

Well, I repaired it, hopefully for good this time. I read where using task killers to kill any but the most unruly apps is a Bad Thing. So I wiped the phone and will not be using TasKiller unless absolutely necessary. Market is working once again.

Be careful with these things.