• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps not in app drawer

cashmere_cat

Nov 2, 2010
Western Canada
Wondering why some apps are not appearing in the app drawer?
I can see them in Settings/Manage Apps, and the Market sees them as being installed, but they don't appear in the drawer, and so are not launchable.

edit: on a sort of related note, a couple of apps are duplicated -- with the second icon having a tiny little green "o" next to it :thinking:

Wondering why some apps are not appearing in the app drawer?
I can see them in Settings/Manage Apps, and the Market sees them as being installed, but they don't appear in the drawer, and so are not launchable.

edit: on a sort of related note, a couple of apps are duplicated -- with the second icon having a tiny little green "o" next to it :thinking:

go into Manage Applications and clear data for your launcher.

Reactions: darkjinni2
Upvote 0
If launcher data gets corrupted somehow, clearing it will prompt the launcher to scan for apps and place their corresponding icons back where they belong. As for duplicated apps, perhaps you have 2 copies installed: one in /system and one in /data? That's a guess, however, and doesn't say anything about why one would have a tiny green o next to it. Perhaps try a different launcher temporarily to see if the problem occurs there also?

Upvote 0
If launcher data gets corrupted somehow, clearing it will prompt the launcher to scan for apps and place their corresponding icons back where they belong. As for duplicated apps, perhaps you have 2 copies installed: one in /system and one in /data? That's a guess, however, and doesn't say anything about why one would have a tiny green o next to it. Perhaps try a different launcher temporarily to see if the problem occurs there also?

I tried the stock launcher, and LP -- both still have the duplicated apps in the drawer, with the lil o. Both 'copies' of the apps work.
The three duplicated apps are related: 'Maps', 'Latitude' & 'Places' .
They are not shown twice in the 'Settings - manage apps'. And actually, Latitude and Places dont show up in there at all. So I assume (?) that means they are system apps that I can't un-install...makes it even stranger that they are duplicated.....

Upvote 0
You might do better posting this in the S7 Edge section, where you'll find other members with the same device and software as you. This thread is about a 2010 HTC handset, so both device and software completely different from yours, and is in a section of the forum that few people visit these days.

I've no experience with Samsung's launcher for the S7E (*), so don't know what features it might have that could lead to apps being hidden, though if it has the ability to hide apps that's the first thing I'd check. If it's a problem with the Samsung launcher than installing a different one might solve it.

(*) I have a Note 10.1 (2014 version) tablet, but that's a much older version of the Samsung launcher. And I use a Nova launcher anyway rather than the Touchwiz Home launcher that came on the device.

Upvote 0
You might do better posting this in the S7 Edge section, where you'll find other members with the same device and software as you. This thread is about a 2010 HTC handset, so both device and software completely different from yours, and is in a section of the forum that few people visit these days.
I've no experience with Samsung's launcher for the S7E (*), so don't know what features it might have that could lead to apps being hidden, though if it has the ability to hide apps that's the first thing I'd check. If it's a problem with the Samsung launcher than installing a different one might solve it.
(*) I have a Note 10.1 (2014 version) tablet, but that's a much older version of the Samsung launcher. And I use a Nova launcher anyway rather than the Touchwiz Home launcher that came on the device.

Will do, thanks anyway 👌😊

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones