• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps not moving to SD card

Hello there, all, does anyone know why Titanium back up Pro will not move 10 apps to SD card. I have a rooted Sony Ericsson Xperia arc S . After setting up Titanium back up Pro, I moved all apps to SD card ( 32GB Sandisk with 19 GB plus left to spare), and all but 10 user apps refuse to move. They are all user apps, like RBS , and some flight tracking apps, which all work ok, but want to stick on phone. I have installed more apps since and they move to SD card ok, but these 10 refuse to move.
I have tried moving them with Android assistant too, but they just want to stay on phone , and are using up space. I have tried moving them one by one and all together , and Titanium Pro goes through the motions , but the apps are still there on phone, anyone got any idea, please, best regards, Duncan Pettett.

Android has specific rules for where it installs apps. If the app has a specified location, that takes priority. If it is not specified in the app, then the default install location is used. Android has 3 identifiers for app storage location:

0 = Internal 1 = Auto 2 = External (sd card)

If 0 is set in the app, then it can only be installed on the internal storage regardless of the default install location. Widgets, services and apps that periodically poll need to be in the internal storage to run correctly.

Similarly the phone itself can have a default install location set so if the app is set to 1 (Auto) then it will direct the app where to be installed. The only thing you must remember is that 1 is not an option for a phones default location. If the app were set to Auto location and the phone was to, it wouldn't know what the default was.

You may find that by setting the default install location to 2 on the phone you can now move more apps to the sd card that you couldn't before, but apps that are coded with an install location of "0" won't move to the SD card. If you go to menu>settings>applications>manage applications you can check which apps are able to be moved, paying close attention NOT to move widgets or polling apps.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones