Apps on SD card Icons gets messed up

Last Updated:

1. einyv

einyv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was testing some apps that can move to the SD card. They move fine and run. After reboot i notice 2 things.
    1. Icons i had on the home screen default to a generic droid icon similar to the market place icon. The apps original icon is gone.
    2. Apps moved to the SD card disappear from the programs app try

Is this just a bug with all 2.2 roms?

Advertisement
  2. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Are you doing this with Titanium Backup or just within the Manage Applications area in settings?

3. einyv

manage application section.
    I also have everything backup with Titanium Backup too but for the test i did
    manage applications----chose the application---clicked on move to sd

after reboot the icon was screwed up

4. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

If you have any other home replacements you could try checking the app tray in there to see if it's unique to the launcher you use or it's just completely gone.

5. einyv

when i move it back to phone, after a reboot it comes back to the app tray. Using ADW home

6. stewart1champ

stewart1champ Well-Known Member

Go into your Settings/Manage Apps. Go to ADW.Launcher, force stop it. The icons will reappear, as well as Icons that were on your home screens. Don't move any over that have widgets, 99% of them lose the widget availability, until you move it back to the phone.

*For whatever reason, when moved from phone to SD, the disappear. Yes, you can move them from SD back to phone, and to get them to show without rebooting, just Force Stop ADW. After each time your phone powers on, you will have to do this.

einyv likes this.
  7. Krisis

Krisis Member

On home screen using Launcher Pro, click menu, preferences, "relaunch Launcher Pro". Your icons will stay fixed until the next reboot.

einyv likes this.
  8. einyv

thanks all...just tried it and it worked like a charm. Hopefully they will fix this bug when the source comes out.

9. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

It isn't a bug... it is a known issue that is mentioned in most all posts about moving an app to the SD card. When your phone boots up, it doesn't mount the SD card until late in the boot process... if you move a widget to the SD card, the widget's icon is not available until the SD card has mounted. If you don't want this to happen, follow the instructions and do not move any app or widget that needs to be available during the boot process.

10. einyv

Knew about the widget issue just not regular apps non widget related

11. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

I used the word "issue" in my other post... I think the word "restriction" would fit better since many people may associate "issue" and "bug" as being almost the same

12. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

There really is no technical difference between a shortcut to an app... or a widget... the icon is still contained in the app/widget itself and if that is unavailable when the launcher you use is loading because the file is located on the SD card that has yet to be mounted...

App2SD is relatively new and as such the launchers that are currently available haven't developed a method to either cache the icons to the internal memory or perhaps use their own built in icons. It wouldn't suprise me to see this type of feature getting added to them before long... but that is just a prediction on my part.

13. einyv

I agree. If a simple force close of adw for istance fixes the problem I am sure they can build that in automatically in the future.