Apps on SD

Last Updated:

1. mrgsmith77

mrgsmith77 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, so I have a lovely black Desire on Orange UK, still yet to debrand/root to free up valuable memory. Currently enjoying 2.2 apps to SD although I don't seem to have found many apps that can go to SD, just wondering what everybody else has found.

I appreciate the list will grow as more developers get on board so nothing is definitive.

So far i have -

Google Earth
    Go!Chat
    Google Goggles
    Google Shopper
    Appbrain App Market
    Tricorder
    Thinking Space
    Google Sky map
    Uninstaller
    RAC traffic
    Vignette Demo
    My Valentino Rossi
    Blackmoon atachsave
    Darth Vader soundboard
    Homer Quotes
    App 2 SD

Advertisement
  2. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

99% of my apps are on my sd card and I'm not rooted!

Go check out william's guide on moving apps to sd! ;)

mrgsmith77 likes this.
  3. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Download an app called Move2SD Enabler, supposed to move everything to the SD Card.

4. badboybubby

badboybubby Well-Known Member

thats for root only

5. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

6. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

mrgsmith77 likes this.
  7. williamj1

williamj1 Well-Known Member

As others said, try my guide. It's pretty much the only thing you can do if your not rooted....

mrgsmith77 likes this.
  8. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

So if you're rooted you can move everything?

9. williamj1

not quite. You can partition the micro sd card so that the phone thinks part of the sd is internal memory. Therefore, you get a lot more actual space and this can be done to every app. However, the phone still installs some of the app's cache onto the actual interal phone memory, so its limited in that sense. But, this is ridiculously small. So before, my 40 apps left me with around 10mb free memory. Once rooted, I now have about 95mb free. Each app I install adds about 0.1mb each time to full internal memory.... so you gain a hell of a lot more.

10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

73 apps, 214 MB internal memory free ;)

11. williamj1

Lol.... how? I partioned mine as you said, and it clearly worked. But my internal memory only went up a tiny bit?

12. SUroot

You partitioned your SD card. I partitioned my SD card and my phone's memory. I used a custom MTD layout to change my internal partitioning as per my signature.

13. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

I'm fast running out of space so for me this would be a massive plus if I rooted.

Is is complicated to partition the SD card or is it part of the rooting procedure?

14. SUroot

Routing doesn't do this. A2SD+ is dependant on a custom Rom supporting it, but yes its easy.

15. williamj1

I Disagree. It's easy if you know what your doing like danfrance does, but I really struggled doing it and if he hadn't helped me I would be well and truly lost. Looking back now though, it is't so bad.

If you decide you want to go ahead with either rooting or both rooting and apps2sd pm me and ill help you along the way

16. SUroot

To partition the card is easy and that was the question. Download Rom manager, click "flash clockworkmod" then "partition SD card" art swap as 0.

Obviously you need to make sure you've backed up your SD content first but that's it.

Doing the whole process is a bit trickier, I concur

17. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that mate, not planning on doing it just yet but if I do I might just take you up on that if it goes pear shaped.

18. mrgsmith77

mrgsmith77 Active Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for all the useful info so far, really good and has helped me figure out more about what rooting actually involves, but back to the original question though - for non rooted/non williamJ noob's guide users -

what apps have you all found so far that have been updated by the programmers to allow to move to SD?

19. SUroot

There is a list of compatible apps somewhere on android forums

20. williamj1

As danfrance said, there's a list somewhere. But in all honestly, it's not that many apps. Some are, but I found far too many weren't which was enough to persuade me to do my guide, then eventually root. Personally, some of my favourite apps, eg google maps, google earth, adobe air, angry birds etc weren't able to be moved to sd. And although the 2 of them still can't really with rooting, it doesn't matter as I have so much space anyway. As you mentioned in your original post, so many aren't movable. For me, this was frustrating.

In my opinion, apps make or break a phone / platform. So to be limited so quickly really bugged me. So I know you said that you didn't want to do either just now, but if it annoys you anything like it did for me, I would seriously consider even doing my guide, not rooting. Because, I remember it took half a year for apps to get apps2sd, and I think most of mine still don't.... The situation I think is unlikely to improve much in the short future.....

21. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

I've done williams guide to force appstoSD and still not really happy with the results. I'm looking to possibly root to get A2SD+. I'm currently on a stock froyo 2.2 rom 2.10... But I'm really nervous about doing it as it does sound a little complicated. All this partitioning stuff on the SD card and internal memory ext 1, ext 3, ext 4 is what gets to me. :S

22. SUroot

Partitioning internal memory is for advanced modifiers only. Do not attempt thus, it is not necessary for you. A2SD+ will easily be sufficient.

Ext is a Linux file system. You partition an ext on your SD card. If you use Rom manager its really simple

23. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

24. SUroot

First you need to root with unrevoked. Look into that first then come back to us ;)

dinaro likes this.
  25. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

cool, and thanks for the responses, really appreciate it :D