Apps on the SD card in 2010?

Last Updated:

1. CobaltDragon

CobaltDragon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

During the Q & A for the N1 phone, they said that in a future release Android will natively support apps installed to the SD card! I know this has been a matter of importance to many of us, so I was glad to hear it was in the works. Hopefully in 2.2 or 2.1.1, sometime this year?!

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is similar to what WebOS is doing with Palm devices. The problem with it is that the data/apps saved to the SD card need to be encrypted. So that's additional software. Once Google adds encryption to the OS, apps will be able to be saved on SD. This is so that they can prevent piracy, particularly for paid apps.

3. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Oh, problem is: It doesn't look to be a feature of the 2.1 release. So, we'll just have to wait for it, much like the issue of multi-touch which Rubin ducked and weaved at the event.

4. jimbubba3

jimbubba3 Well-Known Member

That would be good to see. I don't really have an issue of too many apps and not enough space,but it would still be nice to know that you don't have to put a limit on your number of apps.

5. CobaltDragon

exactly, and there are ROMs out there that allow this now, but I prefer to wait for the official release that supports this, even if it is months off...I don't need the space yet and probably won't for a while.

6. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Yes, I realize this would be nice. But I'll just stick to the facts here. I currently have 140 apps installed and I still have 137MB of 256MB available. Obviously there's room for well over 250 apps on a DROID ... maybe close to 300. Is there really a need for apps to run from your sdcard?

7. CobaltDragon

Like I said, I don't need the space yet, either. But, I've seen more and more apps that are 2, 3, 4 megs + in size...games will especially become larger with textures, etc.

So, at some point it may be necessary.

8. sukanas

sukanas Well-Known Member

yeah.. i never understood why everyone wants apps on sd

9. square

square Well-Known Member

depends on what apps/widgets you use. i have 75-80 installed and have 105mb free.

10. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Then again ... I can't understand for the life of me why these DROIDs only have 256MB of memory for apps in the first place????? What is up with that?

11. KeithG

KeithG Well-Known Member

My thoughts follow your sentiment.

However there are real barriers for certain class of applications that have a high content : executable content ratio. Games, preloaded GPS map data, etc.

The actual program bits within the apk are well within what one would expect from a an android app, but the content / resources portion is huge.

This is a result on how they decided applications would be packaged and delivered. There is no separation point within the apk that would easily allow you to divert high cost content to the larger storage pool of the SD card.

Pay app developers don't want the apps to be able to be copied off willy-nilly and *shared*.

Then there is the issue when you mount the SD card via usb. Android loses complete use of the partition, and any data residing on it. To have running processes that are holding references to resources on the SD card is not something they expected ...

Since the SD card is formated with a vfat filesystem, there is no posix style permission / ownership control.

They either need to do a loopback filesystem in a large file on the sd card. Add device level/partition level encryption via the DM Luks kernel support... but even that has issues...

Or you can split the sd card into 2 partitions, one with a Linux support posix style file system, and then the vfat style for your uploaded media. Using DM-Luks, or similar partition level encryption.... << as above adds cpu overhead for device reads and writes on an already cycle strapped system. This is harder to grow the space as needed.

It isn't a easy problem to solve where everyone ... especially the users will be happy.

They'll get it all hammered out eventually.

12. CobaltDragon

I just realized I'm carrying around about 30 megs of emails in the built-in pop email application...and, I believe those are all stored in the internal memory, too.

13. jdb

jdb Well-Known Member

I really don't understand all this about apps and the sd card. I have spoken with a dev of a highy profitable iphone app (which is like almost a half of a gig in size) and he told me that only a small portion of the app needs to go on the card...the majority of it can reside on the SD card (when it ports to android). I was reading where some people were not going to get Droids because of the "limited" app storage...when in fact I think it would be nearly impossible to fill up your sd card due to apps...even if you wanted a boatload of games and whatnot.