Apps on the SD card

Last Updated:

1. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know that I can put apps on my SD card now that the phone is rooted (very easily using Liquid Frozen Yogurt heh).

Anyways, what I was wondering is if I put all my apps on my SD card, what happens when/if I reflash my ROM? Will I have to wipe the SD card, reinstall the Apps and reback them up top the SD card?

Or does it install once the SD card with the programs is inserted?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    thaDroidz likes this.
  2. _Jroid

_Jroid Member

good question. Will be back for the answer =)

thaDroidz likes this.
  3. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

Really good question... will be watching for input

4. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

well.. since I have moved as many apps as I can over to my SD card - and I am rooted - and used TitBU to move even more, I notice that when app updates come along, the phone correctly downloads them to their correction locations. So, apps on the SD card get correctly updated and stay on the SD card and apps on the phone stay and get updated on the phone.

SO.. my logic is that when you reflash a new ROM, all will be fine and apps will stay in the places they were. But, if you flash back to an old ROM via backup and your apps were on the phone in that ROM and you moved them to the SD card after, I would "think" that flashing back to a ROM that had them on the phone would put them back on the phone.

interesting question.... and not 100% sure I am right.

5. Vehtemas

Okay, well what happens if you flash to a brand new not used ROM, will they install off of the SDcard, or will they attempt to resync your phone and install onto the internal memory, that is the big question for me...

6. Lock-N-Load

flashing a new ROM should not touch your SD card... so, logically I would "think" if the app is on the SD card it will be there so no reason to redownload and sync the app. If the app is on the phone, and you flash and wipe, then it would seem it needs to redownload that app onto your phone since it is wiped off the phone.

I think??

7. Vehtemas

But will the newly flashed ROM actually KNOW to find the program on the SD card? Does it scan the SD card for programs, or will it miss them and just think it needs to redownload them?

8. Lock-N-Load

your account knows what apps you have loaded. that is how the phone knows in the Market to alert you of an uodate. So, it would seem to me, once the phone makes a data connection, it will check and it will see that the apps are clearly installed on the SD card and not download another version to your phone making you have 2.

I am not 100% sure this is exactly how it works, but think about this.. it seems the Devs would consider this issue and make it such that you would not, and could not, download the app in 2 places. If the phone is smart enough to see and move apps to and from the SD card, it is aware the app is there and would not allow a 2nd copy to be downloaded onto the phone when it is on the card.