• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps open without me opening them

Okay, I am still trying to learn this thing but I keep getting a low memory message on my DroidX and I get into my advanced task killer and apps that I never even open appear to be opening and running in the background. I kill all apps but they keep popping back up.....Any ideas??? HELP!

That's standard android operation now. It keeps apps in the background memory to speed up opening them the next time you run them. Not to fear though, android will automatically close those if it needs the extra cpu or memory.

I know at this point it's become almost a habit to end all running apps we're not using, but we don't need to. From what I've seen it doesn't hurt battery life or speed.

Upvote 0
Okay, I am still trying to learn this thing but I keep getting a low memory message on my DroidX and I get into my advanced task killer and apps that I never even open appear to be opening and running in the background. I kill all apps but they keep popping back up.....Any ideas??? HELP!

Android handles memory a lot better than most PC users are used to. It uses its own 'task killer' (quotes used lightly) to control which apps can take up a certain amount of space. RAM that is not being used is inefficient. Apps will still be in your RAM even if you aren't using them. If more space is needed the system will kick off a low priority app and make space available.

Hi dbrock1973, welcome to the forums. We don't talk to others like that here and we would appreciate it if you didn't either. We have rules to follow that make this the best community out in the interwebs. Talk like this will make us like the inferior others. I'd also like to point out that your first post was bashing other members. This is not the best way to introduce yourself. It's also funny but I found their posts to be pretty useful! Colchiro gave him the best advice that could be given and malek9696 explained it pretty well! Before you post again please read the forum rules and guidelines so you can be sure to be in accordance with them. Also, check out the Zero Tolerance Policy.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0
I agree that an automated task killer isn't needed, but some apps do use more cpu than others and therefore could hurt battery life, in which case those apps should be killed or uninstalled.

I've been playing with connectbot for connecting to my PC with ssh. It's always running even when I'm not using it. There is no setting to prevent it and autostarts can't even see it so I can't set it there not to start.

Web browsers take a lot of cpu, so if you're using the default browser which doesn't close, it needs to be killed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones