• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps opening randomly

Caeper

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
Hi all. Just switched from the evil clutches of iPhone to Android and I love it. I currently have a Droid Razr.
This might be a pointless topic but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. Whenever I go into task manager, I find there is alot of apps running that I haven't opened. I'll close all open apps, go back to home screen, straight away go back to task manager and there will be apps open again. Some of which I never use. Why is this happening and how can it be stopped???

I'd like to know the answer to that question too. I'm not too concerned about the apps running in the background but what does concern me is their potential to transmit information and details over the internet or via SMS.

I know that there are various firewalls available for rooted phones but does anyone know of any that will work on non-rooted phones or any apps that will stop other apps connecting to the internet until you give them permission to do so?

Upvote 0
Don't kill them, it will lead to problems. Just leave them be and forget about the phone having a task manager, That is for killing rogue apps that crashed.

Some of those apps are running due to services. For example Google Maps is connected to Facebook, and camera, and gallery. Others are running because you opened them at least once. Android remembers what apps you used, and load them to memory even if you haven't opened it yet so that when you choose them, it will open up faster. Over time, Android will learn what apps you use most and load those most frequently used to memory.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones