• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Running in Background

coach17

Dec 12, 2012
My wife and I share our data plan with my daughter and son in-law on Verizon wireless with 4gb data. Recently the data usage on my S3 has increased quite a bit. What can I safely stop from running in the background to help this issue. I mostly use WIFI so I am not sure what the issue is. My emails are not pushed through.

A good place to start would be to go into Settings and choose Data Usage on your daughter's phone: if you scroll down, you should see the apps that are using the most data (assuming your daughter's the one racking up the data - if that's just a guess, it might be worth checking the other phones on the account as well).

You'll probably find it's a sync issue .. probably on something your daughter's started using recently like Facebook or Twitter :D

Try turning off Sync (using the Power Widget), then going through all the apps on your daughter's phone that are using lots of data (e.g. e-mail, facebook, twitter, news & weather apps etc etc) and checking any sync options. Either turn these options off altogether or drastically increase the time between syncs.

Upvote 0
A good place to start would be to go into Settings and choose Data Usage on your daughter's phone: if you scroll down, you should see the apps that are using the most data (assuming your daughter's the one racking up the data - if that's just a guess, it might be worth checking the other phones on the account as well).

You'll probably find it's a sync issue .. probably on something your daughter's started using recently like Facebook or Twitter :D

Try turning off Sync (using the Power Widget), then going through all the apps on your daughter's phone that are using lots of data (e.g. e-mail, facebook, twitter, news & weather apps etc etc) and checking any sync options. Either turn these options off altogether or drastically increase the time between syncs.

Actually it is my phone that is doing this. I will check these.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones