• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps stay on internal storage after transfer to SD

I originally posted this in the android lounge forum since it seems like an OS problem but it then got moved to the S4 Active forum, where it got no responses. I'm now posting this in the s4 section since its a software problem where hopefully someone sees it and responds.

Hi, I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active and I got a 64GB Micro SD card to go with it. After sliding my card into the device everything read and worked fine. I moved all my music onto it and the Play Music app read it and indexed it just fine. Then I went to go move some of my bigger apps (games) to the SD card. I went to Settings, App Manager, All Apps, found the ones I wanted to move, clicked move to SD card, the icon said moving, and then it gives me the option to move to internal memory. Mission accomplished I thought, but when I checked my data there had been no change. I plugged it into my computer to check and the only thing under Android Data is com.samsung.music. Quite confused as to why none of my apps actually transferred over even though my phone says they are on the SD card. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same problem. I have done the update. I go to manage apps click on a game and click move to sd card. Everything seems to go well but if i go into my sd card/android/data there is no game data files. If i check on my internal storage/android/data the game files are still present. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I believe the usual file managers on an unrooted phone will not show the app files. I've never shoved the sd card into a computer to REALLY spend the time to look for them. If you can move at least 100mb of apps from the internal memory to the sd card, you should be able to see some difference in the memory stats at the bottom of the "application manager" screens. If you try it, let us know what you find. :)

Upvote 0
Oh well, I had a few minutes with nothing to do, so I moved some apps from device memory to the sd card. The device memory used dropped from 1.0 gb to 0.94, and the sd ("USB") storage used rose from 2.3 to 2.4 gb. Thus, I conclude that the apps indeed moved (at least most of their content) from the phone memory to the card. Some of the app I believe has to stay in the phone's memory so the app can be accessed.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones